Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I have Quicken 2002 which has served me incredibly well

Customer Question

I have Quicken 2002 which has served me incredibly well for my oersonal financial software. I have now run into a prbblem that will not let me have access to my mainbank account informationb. The error message is as follows:
"There are too many Quick Tabs already open, close some and try again. To close a QT simply close the associated feature etc etc....if you want to close all your open features and Quick Tabs at once, right click on any Quick Tab ..." This doesa not work, I cannot find a way around this. This ONLY occurs on one of my Quicken files while the others work normally. Unfortunately the non working file is my largest and most critical file in Quicken. I am now completely closed out of that important file. SUGGESTIONs ??? Please help!!
Joe Blair***@******.***
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Mark Taylor replied 5 months ago.

Joe,

From your description it sounds like you may have a hidden tab.

I am not sure if you tried this already or not. Hopefully this is helpful.

On the left (or right) side of the screen is the column where Quick Tabs are displayed. That column may be very narrow (when it will look almost like a window border), but when it is wide enough, it will display "Quicken 2002" at the top. You can widen that column by grabbing its inner vertical line with your mouse cursor, and dragging it toward the center of the window.

No matter how narrow that column is, you can right-click in it and select "Close All QuickTabs".

Please let me know if this works.

Hi Joe,

I declined the call. I will still try to help you resolve this problem. I am not positive that I will find a solution. I did not want to see you waste money on a phone call.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It did NOT work

Let me see if I can find any other possible fixes.

Here is another suggestion:

For Q2002. QuickTabs are found in a column on the very left (or the very right) side of the Quicken window. They are grouped by: My Finances, Banking Center, Investing Center, Property&Loan, Tax Center, Planning Center, Reports&Graphs. Beneath each of those headings the user may see the name of Accounts, the name of Lists, the name of Reports, etc that are currently "open". Those Account names, List names, Report names are the "QuickTabs"_ they can be closed individually by clicking on the name then clicking on the small "x" in the resulting menu (NOT the large red X that closes Quicken).

If QuickTabs are not visible when Quicken is open (if not even the headings I listed above are visible), it probably means they have been "hidden" (or "minimized" to use Quicken's term). If that is the case, the only sign of those QuickTabs will be a very narrow vertical area (about 1/4" wide") on the left or right side of the Quicken window. If you right-click in the narrow area, you will get a menu that includes the choice to "restore Quicktabs", which will widen the narrow area and allow you to see what is "open".

In that same menu, is a choice to "Close all QuickTabs". It is suggested that you close all the QuickTabs, then open any that you want to be open whenever Quicken starts. Then go to Edit > Options > Desktop and choose "Save Current Desktop".

I am gong to look for other options please let me know if something works.

Please create a backup of the file before trying this!

Try running a file validate to check for data errors. Be sure to have a backup before starting this. The Validation option is under File, not sure on your version how to navigate to it, but may be under File Operations

Make sure you have told Quicken to display the Quicktabs. The option should be in Edit > Options > Quicken Program.

Please let me know if anything is successful.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The files is now open but I have not tried to see if the sorting works. Will let you know. The file is open BUT I get the same error message when I try to use a quick tab.

I will keep looking. Is sounds like you are making progress.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I still cannot do the sorting that I want and now there is the following error message: " Some of the components for Support Dock were left. HOWEVER when I try to search or create any reports I still get the Message "There are too many Quick Tabs already open.....etc etc

When you have Q2002 open, look at the column on the left side of the Quicken window (unless you have chosen to display "Quick Tabs on the right").

Close every Account, List, Report, Etc, that you do not want Quicken to display when you start Quicken (close them all, if necessary).

Then click "Edit > Save Desktop > Save Current Desktop > OK

I need to step away for a few minutes. I am going to opt out and allow someone else to help you. If I see your question later I will try to help again.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 months ago.

Hi our wonderful new auto matic call feature does not work

can you please put up your phone number or call me at(###) ###-####/p>

I am heading out but i should be back later tonight or if its ok with you if we can do it tomorrow I can log in remotely and work on it for you that way.

The stuff he put above should work though. The error comes from there not being enough memory for quicken to keep track of all the open windows it has. If you can close them it might help

Other things to try are

1. Just rebooting the computer if you have not done so already.

2. trying to close them again. on either the right or the left hand side there will be a list of all the open tabs ( screens such as registry, reports etc) each will have an x next to it that you can click to close it. If you cant see them but you see a little blank area going vertical on either the right or the left right click in it and select show all quick tabs. then you can close them

3 doing a system restore. to a time before the error happened

System restore instructions - windows 7 8 10

hold the windows logo key and hit R
in the box that appears type

rstrui.exe

hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settings box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.