Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I have a money market Govt Portfolio account in Quicken and

Customer Question

I have a money market Govt Portfolio account in Quicken for buying and selling mutual fund transactions. The balance in this account was correct on 4/30/16. When a sale of shares of a fund occurred, the offsetting entry in this cash account showed "shares bought" in the corresponding amount. In a purchase of shares, the corresponding entry in this cash account showed "shares sold" and a balance showed after each transaction. Something happened (?) and the corresponding entries in this account suddenly started showing "withdrawX" for bought transactions and "ContribX" for sold transactions, and no balance appears after the transactions. At 5/31/16, the cash balance in this account should have been $731.78 and instead the account shows a balance of $19,932.94. I have no idea how this balance was arrived at. Have been using Quicken for about 20 years and have never encountered this before. Also I tried to fix it by adjusting the 5/31/16 balance to the correct amount and this doesn't work either. Any idea what's happening?
Category: Financial Software
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This service is not what I thought it woud be. I don't need your help. Thanks anyway.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 months ago.

i would have to look at it. the cash account SHOULD show the actual cash balance held by the brokerage for you and it seems like it might be showing the total worth of the investments