Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

I'm finishing my 2015 filing, when I printed out my

Customer Question

I'm finishing my 2015 filing, when I printed out my Depreciation Summary I noticed I have my Rental House also listed as a business. Which one should I have entered it as? And, how do I make the other one delete?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Anne replied 4 months ago.

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 28 years and I'll be happy to help you.

Here's the rule for whether or not rental property is considered a "business" or not:

If you provide a service with the property (housekeeping, etc) then it's a "business" and would need to be reported on a Schedule C

If you do not provide services, you only rent the property to the tenant , then you would report the rental income & expenses on a Schedule E

As for how to delete the incorrect one, you will need to go back to the first point of entry (normally where you would have answered any questions re: the rental property), and look for a question that asks if you provided service, etc.

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.