Arthur L Rubin
Arthur L Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including 12 years of using commercial software.
13714381

My daughter was 22 years old at the end of 2015. She was a

Customer Question

My daughter was 22 years old at the end of 2015. She was a full-time student until she graduated on May 8,2015. Am I able to claim her on my 2015 tax return?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Arthur L Rubin replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** using Just Answer. Maybe (sorry, that's the answer for many tax questions.) If you meet the support test (no one other than you supplies over half of her support), and she was considered a full-time student for some part of May 2015, and she does not file a joint return, she is a "qualifying child" and can be taken as a dependent on your return. If you meet the support test (you supply over half of her support), and she had $4000 of earned income or less, and she did not file a joint return, she is a "qualifying relative" and can be taken as a dependent on your return. Otherwise, probably not. The clause you are interested in states that she is a "student" if she is under 24 and a full-time student for some of each of 5 months in 2015. If you need more clarification, please get back to me.