Arthur L Rubin
Arthur L Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including 12 years of using commercial software.

I had no employer sponsored health insurance coverage

Customer Question

I had no employer sponsored health insurance coverage for 5 months (June thru October of 2015). I got insurance for my wife and myself thru the Market Place. Then by Gods grace I was able to get a job that provided health coverage for both of us. I have two 1095-C statements that verify the coverage gap. Why am I having to refund the Market Place subsidy? I am 65 years old and getting a decent job at this age was a miracle.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Arthur L Rubin replied 6 months ago.
James, thank you for using Just Answer.There are two reasons why you might not be eligible for the subsidy, and have to refund any subsidy you received. If your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) for 2015 exceeds 4 times the "poverty line", even by $1, you are ineligible for the subsidy and have to repay any subsidy you received. This is independent of your age. You wrote that you are 65. If you are eligible for Medicare, you are ineligible for the subsidy on any Market Place plan for your insurance. You are probably ineligible for any insurance through the Market Place, but that is an insurance question, not a tax question. I wish I had better news for you.