Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

Have new computer and want to transfer quickbooks and info

Customer Question

Have new computer and want to transfer quickbooks and info from old computer. How do I go about this?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Are these both windows or Mac computers Marilyn?

and do you have the Quicbooks disk with you at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are both windows machines but also have a Mac that I could install it on. Have QuickBooks discs 2010/11
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, you need to keep it on the windows computer, as the installation disk will only work with windows.

What you do is put the disk in the new computer and install Quickbooks 2011

Then on the old computer, go to File, Backup in Quickbooks and make a backup file.

Copy this backup file to the new computer, then go on the new computer in Quickbooks to File, Backup, Restore and select the backup file.

This will then transfer your data onto the new computer and you can start using Quickbooks on the new computer.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will not accept installation key found in the help menu
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You need to get it off the disk sleeve. Its never possible for the code to change so you will be reading the wrong code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have installed 2010/11 on new computer. backed up on old computer but the program is Pro 2014 and when I try to restore the backup am unable to do so. Unable to update 2010/11 on the new computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. then you will need to install 2014 on the new computer, you cannot restore the backup to an older version of Quickbooks, it has to be the same or a later version.

I am a little confused as this is the first time you mentioned 2014, but you need to install that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have disc for 2014. Do I download from websit?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, sign in and download it from www.quickbooks.com