Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

Why does my conversion from quicken 2013 to quickbooks 2013

Customer Question

why does my conversion from quicken 2013 to quickbooks 2013 keep failing
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

it may just be that the backup file is no good.

if you still have the quicken 2013

first update it to the newest release

do not make a backup file. that is no longer necessary after 2012

use file / save a copy as

that will create another qdf data file

close the quicken

open the quickbooks

make sure that is updated to the newest release

1. Choose the File menu > Utilities > Convert > and then select From Quicken.
  2. Select the Quicken .QDF file you want to convert. Note: If you have used the Quicken Conversion Tool you will see a folder on your desktop that contains the approriate QDF file to use. The folder will be namedQ12Files or Q13Files.
  3. QuickBooks will guide you through the remainder of the conversion process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer but I may need to give you more information. I am trying to take a copy of a Quicken file on one computer and convert/install it into my laptop computer where the QuickBooks is, both versions are 2013. The computer the Quicken file is on is not my computer but a new client of mine. She can't find her Quicken software program and I don't have Quicken installed on my computer. I downloaded the Quicken converter on to my computer, took a back up of her Quicken file, uploaded it to the converter, then I tried to do the install but I am not seeing a folder namedQ12Files or Q13Files as your message says above. I actually read these same instructions online somewhere else and never found on my desk top these files. I would call right now but I am not at home, I am working in another location but just saw your email.
When I do start to do the conversion, it will go up to 99% then give me a message that QuickBooks has stopped working. It's so frustrating. Do you think if my client brought me a CD back up rather then me using a back up on thumb drive it would make a difference? Let me know what you think. Thank you
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i think that what you want is a qdf file rather than a backup and to not use the converter software but to follow the instructions on that page. I wont swear it wont work but the converter was designed for use with qb 2011 and below not 2013. The 2013 qb takes the data file rather than a backup file and it just converts it directly.

have her look for the actual data file that ends with .qdf and send you that. the media it is on shouldnt matter.

also if you have not done so copy the file to the c drive BEFORE you try to convert it. the flash drive is ok for transferring it but if you try to convert the copy on the flash drive you could run into an issue with the space or rights on the flash drive.