Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

Bridget, I am having problems installing QuickBooks Pro 10

Customer Question

Hi Bridget,
I am having problems installing QuickBooks Pro 10 on my computer. It would be easier to screenshot the error message rather than type it out. Do you have a way to do this so you can review the error message?
Category: Financial Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the initial error message - "The installer encountered an error when running "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Tem\Pro\qbooks\wi ' /quiet /norestart INJSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the second message
Component: QuickBooks
Location:
"C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Pro\qbooks\windowsinstaller-kb893803-x86.exe "
EXEAAdapter Error: InstallExe method received the system error from CreateProcess ,
command -
"C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Pro\qbooks\windowsinstaller-kb893803-x86.exe " /quiet /norestart INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Intuit\Quickbooks 2010"
QB_LICENSENUM=5283-5040-1064-125
QB_PRODUCTNUM=502-085
ISW_LICENSENUM=623319124076484
ISW_PRODUCTNUM=54997 INSTALLDESKTOPICONS=1
QB_DBR_SETHOST=0
System Message -
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Did you use the utilities that you can download from the intuit site to uninstall first so you get a clean install?

You might also try doing the install in compatibility mode for win 7

And downloading a fresh copy of the qb as a CD may not have updates that will handle win 10

I can log in remotely and install it for you if you are willing to pay a little bit extra.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I found out the QuickBooks Pro 2010 is no longer supported by Intuit. Additionally, my version of Windows is Vista Ultimate which, if I upgrade to QuickBooks Pro 2013, I will need Windows 7. Given this combination I am going to have to upgrade to Windows 7 and also QuickBooks 2013 (desktop version). I walked through steps with QuickBooks on trying to reload 2010 but was still getting the error messages and failed load. Thank you for looking into this.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I think you got bad advice from somebody that just couldnt figure out what to do. qb 2013 is supported on vista. I havent looked up whether 2010 works on win 7 but i suspect it does. By "not supported" they just mean that they wont help you with it or fix it anymore. Not that it shouldnt run.

I am out for the morning but i can talk to you this afternoon.

if the qb used to work recently on that computer you might try doing a system restore to when it was working

SYSTEM RESTORE INSTRUCTIONS - XP VISTA
start menu / all programs / accessories / system tools / system restore
select restore to an earlier date

you will get a calendar with various restore points for each day

choose one for a date BEFORE the problem started

hit the ok /restore button

the system will start to shut itself down and a blue status line will come up in a box saying restoring your system settings.

when it finishes the system will restart itself.

hopefully everything will work the way it did on the date you selected

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

2013 on vista system requirements. vista is supported

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
I understand that 2013 is supported on Vista. 2010 Pro is not. Since Vista sucks as an Operating System I needed to update to Windows 7. QuickBooks say they no longer support 2010 Pro so I needed to upgrade to 2013. 2010 Pro does not interface well with Vista. Given these circumstances I have upgraded to Windows 7 and will upgrade to 2013 Pro.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

both quickbooks 2010 and 2013 will run on either vista or win 7

yes vista does suck. win 7 is better

but if the vista did not run your qb than there was a specific problem with the vista on your computer. doing an upgrade in place might fix it or it might carry the problem with it.

wiping out the vista and installing the win 7 clean would fix it. so would wiping the vista and installing the old vista clean

If you want to upgrade why 2013 ? that wont be supported next year either. you might as well go to 2015 and it will be good for a few years. The 2010 came out of support in 2013 so if it has been running it has been doing so "out of support" for 2 years. Intuit "supports" their products for 3 years. That does not mean they will stop working when they go out of support. It means qb wont help you unless you pay them.

the 2010 should work under either op system My opinion is that the guy from quickbooks was just giving you the answer that was easiest for him and cost you the most money. But if you are happy with it than by all means try it. Get back to me if it doesnt work. I will make either version work for you on either op system