Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

How do I create a backup from Mac to PC from a Apple Mac

Customer Question

How do I create a backup for Quickbooks from Mac to PC from a Apple Mac Mini that we share files for three IMac desktop computers?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Angie Russell replied 1 year ago.

What version of Quickbooks do you have?

It should not matter that you are sharing the files currently, the backup you make will simply allow the file to be opened on a windows computer that has Quickbooks installed.

I'm going to assume 2014 or 15...here are your step by step instructions....

1. With the company file open in QuickBooks for Macintosh, select the File menu and select Backup to QuickBooks for Windows (it is also possible to click the Windows Backup icon on the far right side of the iconbar).
  2. In the Save As field, type a name for this file or accept the default provided by the program. In the Where field, it is best to simply save this file to your Desktop.
  3. Click Save and allow the backup process to run. You will receive notification when the process is complete at which time an instructional PDF file is offered for printing. It's a good idea to print this for the QuickBooks Windows user to refer to when restoring the file.
  4. The file has been automatically appended with the required .QBB extension necessary for restoring into QuickBooks for Windows.

Note: This file can now be transported via CD-ROM, Thumb-drive, flash or other USB device. Intuit does not recommend emailing these files as there is the potential for unseen damage to the file.

5. In QuickBooks for Windows, click the File menu and select Restore. Locate the .QBB file provided by the Mac user. (It is recommended that the .QBB file be copied from the transport device to the computer desktop for easy location)
  6. In the restore window, select the .QBB file (from the desktop) choose a location on your computer where you would like the file to be restored to and click Restore.
  7. You will be prompted to convert the file, at which point you must type the word yes to continue. At the conclusion of the conversion process the file will be open in QuickBooks for Windows and ready for review.

In Mac 2015 and later

Mac 2015 made a few changes to how it creates a copy that can be restored for windows. QuickBooks now verifies the file automatically at the beginning of the conversion process. Also if you have Dropbox set up, there will be a button that will automatically take you to the Dropbox folder making file transfer just a bit easier.

1. With a company file open go to File > Save File for Accountant... or File > Export > To QuickBooks for Windows...
  2. On the message that comes up choose to Verify or Skip Verify. (Verify is recommended)
  3. If the verify is successful continue to step 4. If verify fails follow steps to Resolve data damage.
  4. Select where you want to save the file.

Does this answer your question? Feel free to request clarification of any thing that is unclear. Positive feedback is very much appreciated, as this is how I receive credit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2013 for MAC that does not provide the option for an accountants copy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am also working from a MAC mini server. I am unable to save a backup copy from my desktop. I'm told it has to be done on the MAC mini.

I will opt out so that another expert may assist you. I am not familiar with MAC's .

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you got a copy of QuickBooks running on the server?

I don't think that is necessary but it might be easier that way

Try opening the file from only one work station. You need to be logged into QuickBooks with an account that has full administration rights to the company file and

open it in single user rather than hosting mode. That option should be under file /file utilities

And be careful what folder you are saving the file to. You may be getting the message because you are trying to save it to a folder on the server that you don't have full rights to

I am available late this afternoon if you want to pay a little bit extra to log in remotely to do it with you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the instructions.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok, let me know. if that doesnt work or you have problems doing it let me know exactly where you got stuck and/or the exact error message that you get and i will help you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok. i have to answer every time you do. so just post back after you have tried it please.

thanks :)