Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

I'm trying to process a refund from a vendor over payment I

Customer Question

I'm trying to process a refund from a vendor for an over payment I made and have followed QB instructions and find myself further in a mess. I need to try again, I'm using QB 2011 can you provide instructions? Thanks.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

I have the instructions for you here to follow (with screenshots) which will show you exactly how to do this

https://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW15994

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it looks like you did not understand my question. I am trying to process a cheque that was sent to me from one of my vendors for an over payment I made. I am not trying to provide a refund or credit to a customer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that, I did read it as you processing a refund, but you want to process a refund you are receiving.

This is what you need to do

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12243

Let me know if you have any problems please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard
I'm sensing that you did not really read what I wrote. I followed the directions of just answer and provided information about what I have already tried this included the directions you just sent me. I also explained the complications that happened when I followed those instructions and what further action I did. Would you be willing to read the information I have provided. Just so you know I have already worked with the online intuit forum so the standard cut and paste answers have already been done. Something new that address the complications I've run into would be helpful. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I see none of that here

All I see is

"I'm trying to process a refund from a vendor for an over payment I made and have followed QB instructions and find myself further in a mess. I need to try again, I'm using QB 2011 can you provide instructions? Thanks."

And

"I'm sorry it looks like you did not understand my question. I am trying to process a cheque that was sent to me from one of my vendors for an over payment I made. I am not trying to provide a refund or credit to a customer."

Granted I misundestood about you not issuing a refund but receiving one, but there is nothing else here that you have provided in terms of information. I am reading what you are writing.

But if you have extra information to provide, then please give this. Be as detailed as possible as you have only requested the instructions on receiving a refund which I now provided to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard.
Sorry this is my first time using this service. After asking my question another window opened asking me to provide information about what I have tried already. It was there I provided a whole lot of information. I will write it all out again in step by step detail this time I apologize that this will be long but I will try to explain everything.
I received notification from a vendor that I owed $300. His computer wasn't working to send me the invoice at the time. I sent a cheque for $300 and received the invoices by mail ( one for $100 and another $200). The $200 invoice was not mine and was charged to me in error. The vendor said he would send me a refund cheque and asked that I return the invoice, which I did.
In quick books I than entered the one invoice for $100 and processed the bill payment for $300 leaving a $200 overpayment. When I received the refund cheque I followed the instructions from quickbooks help (which you also sent me) processing a deposit through the make deposits window for the $200, etc etc, indicating the vendor. chq # ***** account (accounts payable). I thought that was the end of it and that everything would be good after that. Than I realized that the $200 deposit also shows up in the pay bills window. ???? I didn't understand. Maybe I did it wrong and shouldn't have used accounts payable???
In the Instructions you sent me in #6. instructs to use the Account used on the original transaction. In quick books help it says to use that in some circumstances and to use Accounts Payable in other circumstances. There were not enough details for me to understand clearly so I double checked the transaction details by account report....showing the original payment $300 was processed as debit in Accounts Payable and credit in Bank Account. The original bill $100 processed as credit in Accounts Payable and as debit in Repairs& Maintenance. To me that indicated that I was correct to use Accounts Payable when processing the refund $200 through Accounts Payable. However I still do not know what to do with the deposit that has shown up in the "pay bills window" as a bill. This is my dilema...thanks for your patients.
karyn
Other Instructions from Intuit include more than making a refund deposit through the make deposits window. They are as follows.....
Enter a credit from a vendor (if one does not already exist): steps 1 through 5
I am not sure if a credit exists
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that explanation.

It sounds like you processed a refund from a Vendor for another Vendor which is why it shows as a bill

Like in this process

https://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN43533

Which is where you have the Create a Bill for the Amount of the Deposit and apply it to the Deposit.

If you create a credit for it it should then cancel out the bill.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No again this is not what I am saying.
I paid a vendor too much(overpayment). Received a refund cheque from the vendor. I processed it according to QB instructions which you suggested as well with this link http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12243. In the result, a bill is created.
There are not two vendors involved like you suggested. And, if a create another bill I will incorrectly be affecting my expense accounts, will I not?
I am honestly very frustrated by this. I thought I provided lots of detail that would make it very clear, but it seems to be impossible to be understood. (I acknowledge that I did have incomplete sentences after I signed my name in my last response, I'm sorry I thought I had deleted that before I sent it. I'm feeling ready to give up and go somewhere else for help.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

the only reason it would create a bill though is when you do it from two vendors.

Re-do the payment and check again when processing the refund.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, it creates a bill.
I've searched elsewhere for help and found an answer that worked on Intuit Online Help.
Here is what worked, it turned out to just be another step after processing the refund as a deposit (which does create a open bill). However this info does not come up in Quick books help.
1)Select the Vendors menu and select Pay Bills
2)The vendor refund you deposited will appear as an open bill in the Pay Bills window along with any other open bills. Click to the left of the bill to place a checkmark.
3)Click Set Credits
4) Click to select the credit(s) you want to apply to the bill (refund), and then click Done. The amount to be paid is reduced by the amount of the credit(s) applied or paid in full if that is the case.
5) Click Pay & Close