Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming
74139101

L.S. I am struggling with shares, they disappear after a

Customer Question

L.S.
I am struggling with shares, they disappear after a reboot. Situation:
I want to migrate from W7 to Mint, but itś a lot of work. For that reason I installed Mint (dual boot with W7), so I can look for compatible software. Where this is too complex for the moment I want to use my W7 software via Virtualbox. Most data is still on W7 and I want to keep it that way until I have more knowledge concerning Ubuntu. On the Host I shared several drives, it works after naming these drive within Vbox. My installed applications i.e. Lightroom work OK. Until I reboot my system, then all shares are gone. I have been searching the internet for a solution, but nothing yet. Oh, I also use the Samba Config Tool, no result. I have the following question: HELP!!
Kind regards,
John Scheepmaker
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,
What specifically do you mean by the "host"?
Is "host" an actual computer running Windows or another OS, or is "host" something else, like a virtual machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the Host is my new Ubuntu machine and via Virtualbox (Adobe) I have a guest (w7 ultimate). The other part of my hardware is another bootable machine (W7), so it is a dual boot situation, but only for nasty circumstances. The problem arises between the Host (Ubuntu) ans the Guest (W7).

Ah, OK, I will opt your question out to other experts with more Linux expertise. Please don't reply to this, until another expert steps in to help, as that will only delay response. Thanks!

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
Assuming the problem is sharing your files via your host, Linux, with the use of Samba - here's a little guide on how to share them permanently:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255872
Is this what you're after?
Please reply using the box below.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. I am a newbie at linux but I have a lot of experience in IT, especially hands-on. I get messages that my mount points do exist. A small tutorial where to find them an what to look after would be nice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kind regards
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
If you want to look at what you have mounted, open up a terminal and type the command:
mount
It will show you what's mounted where
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
[email protected] ~ $ mount
/dev/sdb2 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw)
/dev/sdc5 on /media/Software type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda2 on /media/System type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda1 on /media/System_Reserved type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/john/Data type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdc6 on /media/john/Statische data type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
/home/john/.Private on /home/john type ecryptfs (ecryptfs_check_dev_ruid,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs,ecryptfs_sig=a6938d0dbc3d1eaa,ecryptfs_fnek_sig=8a4e3d5f96e99c85)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=john)
/dev/sdd1 on /media/john/SLEUTELBOZ type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks2)
[email protected] ~ $I tried this:[email protected] ~ $ sudo mount -t smbfs //PC-John-Mint/E-data /media/john/Data -o username=john,password=*********
mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'
[email protected] ~ $What's wrong?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
First make sure you created /media/john/Data:
mkdir /media/john/Data
Then mount it with this command:
sudo mount -t cifs //PC-John-Mint/E-data /media/john/Data -o rw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dir /media/john/Data already existsResult:
[email protected] ~ $ sudo mkdir /media/john/Data
[sudo] password ***** john:
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/media/john/Data’: File exists
[email protected] ~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //PC-John-Mint/E-data /media/john/Data -o rw
Password ***** root@//PC-John-Mint/E-data:
Retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
[email protected] ~ $
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Try using the IP address instead of PC-John-Mint
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the command you're trying to type and asked me for is so you can mount a share onto Linux, not the other way around.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
[email protected] ~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.55/E-data /media/john/Data -o rw
Password ***** root@//192.168.1.55/E-data:
Retrying with upper case share name
[email protected] ~ $ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 90:2b:34:35:d6:cb
inet addr:192.168.1.55 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::922b:34ff:fe35:d6cb/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:97336 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:74745 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:89450168 (89.4 MB) TX bytes:10544153 (10.5 MB)lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:6188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6188 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:587920 (587.9 KB) TX bytes:587920 (587.9 KB)[email protected] ~ $
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I think you may be confused as to what the command does - by the looks of it, you're trying to mount a folder on your computer as a share.
The command is for mounting a share on another computer/device
So say you have a share on Windows 7, this command would mount the share onto Linux
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a volume (on my original W7 machine) e:Data
This volume is visible when I run Ubuntu, I can also access files and directories. It works! I like to access the data from my Virtualbox W7 VM (on Ubuntu). That is OK, but after every reboot I have to share them again, which makes me tired.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, when you run a virtual machine, you have two IP addresses, one given to you by your router and one from the virtual machine's DHCP server.
If you want to map/mount the share from the W7 computer you will have to do so via the command line and for that you need the W7 (virtual machine's) IP address.
Which computer is currently the host computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think 192.168.1.55 is the Ubuntu host, because ifconfig shows that address. Where can i find the IP of the VM?btw, if have to do a reboot, my Intel Virtualisation in the bios is switched of (why? it was on earlier), so I cannot acces VM for a minute. Gives you time to think a little bit. See you in a few minutes
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
If you have Windows 7 loaded inside the VM, open a command prompt and type ipconfig to view its IP address
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of-course,[email protected] ~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.82/E-data /media/john/Data -o rw
[sudo] password ***** john:
Password ***** root@//192.168.1.82/E-data:
mount error(13): Permission denied
[email protected] ~ $
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok good, so you need to share the drive/folder and add an entry in the ACL (access control list) for username everyone to have full access.
That is done from Windows
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From w7 VM I cannot reach the volume. Do you mean I have to reboot into w7? And then do what? Right click the drive etc.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to hanld when I want to remove my w7 boot pertition? How do I then assign the correct permissions?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean reboot into W7?
You don't need to share anything if you have it dual booted, you can access the partitions by mounting them as rw (read,write) or simply by opening them from dolphin or whichever file explorer you're using.
I think it might be wise to re-state your original question so we're clear on what you're trying to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well,
perhaps I'm triggered from your advice to add an entry in the ACL "done from windows".
My Hardware is dual booted, but only when it's neccessary. I like to create a situation where I run Ubuntu Mint and, for some applications (Lightroom, Mediamonkey, etc.) run a VM in W7. For these applications I want to access the (formerly) w7 disks. In my opinion that are shares. But what's in a name? (if that doesn't obstruct normal work).
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok I understand what you want to do and I'd advise against it, your programs won't run anywhere near as good as you'd like them to from a VM inside Mint and from a shared drive, it just won't work well unless you have a server-type computer.
What I would do instead is, copy the files over from the Windows partition to Mint, install W7 in a VM inside of Mint, then copy/move the files from Mint over to W7 inside the VM and run them directly from the VM.
That way you'll have all those programs you need to run on Windows accessing files locally as opposed to through a share.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does make sense, but ....
My Idea was to create a w7 VM, test the programs in there (using the original file, so I can/could always boot into the original W7) and, when everything proved to be OK, switch to Ubuntu/VM.
Can I "assign" physical harddrives to the VM, so they are not part of the Ubuntu host?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or accessible from both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin,Local time is 2.30 am, my wife thinks that I need some rest. I wait for your reaction and I think it's a lot clearer now. Although not fully clear yet. You helped me a lot, I hope we can finish this problem soon. Have a nice day, I'll be back.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I believe you can, at least on VMware but it's not recommended you do so as you can ruin the host OS if you give the VM OS direct access to the file system.
I'd say your idea is good, it's what I do myself, I just don't completely agree with the idea of running your W7 VM programs linked to a share on the host - they should have local access within the VM to avoid problems.
Since it's a test environment, treat it that way by creating a copy of all the actual W7 files you want to use inside the VM and use them separately in the VM.
To make things clearer:
Dual boot W7 and Mint
Have Mint running a VM with W7 inside.
Install all your W7 programs inside the VM hosted on Mint.
Grab a copy of all the files you have on the W7 partition (accessible from Mint) and paste them into the VM version of W7 so you can run them directly from there.
If you need to save anything you've done in the VM, copy them back to the W7 partition from Mint.
It's an extra step but you'll thank me when things go wrong, which almost always do when you're experimenting on a new OS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can understand this and it it seems logical. For backup reasons (i.e. imaging) I like to separate OS from app data. Also the ssd for the ubuntu host and the VM is only 250 GB. I cannot place my Lightroom data on that (100 Gb photo's). How do I assign this amount of space to my VM? I do have two fast sata drives (1Gb and 1,5 Gb) for my old logical volumes under W7).
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You need to locate the .vdi file (containing your virtual partition) and type this command from a terminal:
VBoxManage modifyhd “/path/to/file/Windows 7.vdi” --resize 20480
The size will be in MB.
20480 would be 20GB (20*1024)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin,a misunderstanding I suppose. For the host I can assign data space to one of the sata drives. I like to use the other sata drive for my VM and the data that I create there, not the ssd with the OS.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You can resize it to what ever size you like and move the vdi file over to the HDD instead of having it on the SSD, you just need to tell the program where to load the VM from.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps,
is the following conclusion correct:
The only "file" that the VM uses is the vdi. Within the vdi I can create folders. It doesn' t matter where that vdi is situated as long as the VM knows where it is.Does the VBoxmanage etc. also work on the new location and is there a max size for the vdi?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Good question about the max size, I'm not entirely sure but I can look it up for you. And yes, you can resize the vdi with that command wherever the file is located.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tomorrow night I will try this. I'll let you know then.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good!

As far as the size goes, there doesn't seem to be a limit other than those set by the operating system its for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, tried several things but nothing worked.
- you told me to move the vdi file, I did but I cannot tel VB where the vdi is located.
- Then I tried to move the complete Virtualbox vms directory, After invalidating the same folder on the original disk (_old) that gave errors to.
- I also tried a new virtual machine using the existing directory, errors tooI also doubt if the description you gave me does separate OS from application data, is it all in the vdi?Sniff.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to create a new virtual hard disk and select your current VDI - if you haven't done much inside the VM you would be better off creating a new one and start fresh on the HDD you want to actually use it on.

Make sure the new disk you create is on a separate folder, in the other HDD and import open the VDI from there.

What error do you get? It's something you can look up.

Unfortunately Linux is like this, it's come a (very) long way but you still need to get friendly with Google and the man pages to find your way around, it's kind of like coding (programming) you need to take baby steps and slowly ween off the resources (the need to look up everything before you do it).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, I know about small steps. I learned programming in the very late 60ś on machines with only 4 Kb (in assembler and machine code) and a whole credit bank was depending on that. Later IBM 370 series (assembler and cobol) and 40xx series and after that Burroughs and Unisys. After that all kind of things in infrastructural software etc. I bought my first PC in 1986. I think I can understand these machines, but Linux is quite new to me. To expect a simple solution to get access from a 'VM Guest" to it's host or to a separate disk should not be rocket science.
I learned several things from your reactions and advices, things I understand and tried to implement. Until now with little success. What I need is a working example, from that point I am capable of doing necessary research and find my way around. I hope you can help me to that point. What if we do a reset (common practice when a user calls).-How can I, from within a virtual "Guest W7 Ultimate", reach data on a sata drive that does not contain my OS (ubuntu)?
-Can I separate the OS from the application data?Kind regards,
John Scheepmaker
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

You can share files from the host without the need for samba, take a look at this:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/virtualization/virtualbox-share-folder-host-guest/

Then simply use the net use command within W7 to map the share from the host.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin,I have been busy for a while, but right now I'm ready to react.I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. But, I decided to reinstall Mint completely (and also Virtualbox). Then I followed the instructions from the above link. Surprise, it worked. To be sure I tried several conditions and it still works. Because I'm a curious person I tried to find out why it didn't work before (see my initial question). I noticed that in an earlier stage my VB had the network defined as "bridged". I changed current NAT to bridged and the same problems occurred, so that seems to have been the problem. I still have (had) some problems with shares, but they were Application related. I could olve most of them, this also is part of the "learning Linux" process. I now am struggling the visibility of USB in the guest.Kind regards,
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Great to hear you got it going with NAT - I guess that's something I overlooked since it's usually the default setting for most VMs.
Our policy is to work on one problem per question but feel free to tell me a little more about the USB problem, does it get detected on the host OS?
If it's not mounting then check this link out:
http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=109844
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin,I managed to get the USB devices visible in the W7 guest. It seams advisable to reboot the system on a regular basis. The problem is that 2 cardreaders are visible in the guest, but when I insert a SD card (ext3/4 and/or fat32/NTFS) they are only visible in the Mint host, not in the W7 guest.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

That's a problem between the VM and the guest OS not updating the new devices.

Have you tried scanning for new hardware from the device manager?