Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

What file folder is client data and client return data stored.

Customer Question

What file folder is client data and client return data stored. I need to reload from an external hard drive into the program
Category: Financial Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is in the TaxAct program thru UTS.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
the file extension you are looking for is .ta2014 ( where 2014 is the year of the return)the location varies a bit depending on the version TaxACT Desktop Consumer Users (Deluxe, Free Federal, Retail Premier)For 2008 later returns, the return file is saved under the My Documents folder of the profile which created the return, in the TaxACT 2008 or the TaxACT 2009 folder.For example, if your computer sign-in name is ***** ***** 2011 return files would be saved in JSmith'sMy Documents in a folder called TaxACT 2011.For 2007 and earlier returns, the return file is located in the program's installation directory (C:\Program Files\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 2007).TaxACT Professional Preparers:For 2013, return files are found at:C:\TaxACT\TaxACT 200X Preparer's Edition\Client DataFor 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, return files are found at:C:\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 200X Preparer's Edition\Client DataFor 2008 preparers with Windows Vista, return files will be located at:C:\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 2008 Preparers - 1040 Edition\Client DataFor programs for tax years 2007 and before, the return file is located at:C:\Program Files\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 200X Preparers - 1040 Edition\Client Data to get to my documents for a specific user on a drive that doesnt have the operating system running off it you have to go to my computerthe drive letterusersthe user namemy documents if it was created by xp or earlier it will be under drive letterdocuments and settingsuser namemy documents sometimes the folder will be locked up and you have to right click and go to properties or security and take ownership of the folder before you can open it. I am able to log in remotely and find them for you if you have problems but there is a small extra charge.