Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

My quickbooks will not open, I have error codes -6050,-100

Customer Question

my quickbooks will not open, I have error codes -6050,-1006
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and will be helping you today.
I can track the error codes on the US software, and assume they are the same for your product.
I checked with Intuit, and the codes you have report the following:
"There are two possible reasons why you are receiving this message:
You may have the CryptoWall virus downloaded on your computer. For more information go to: ***** ***** QuickBooks after being infected with the CryptoWall virus." http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/SLN88502 is the link to the Intuit solution page for this possible remedy.
"You company file is damaged.
How to fix it
If you don't have the virus on your computer, your company file is damaged beyond repair. You can:
Use the Auto Data Recovery Feature to locate the most recent copy of your company file. http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW13772 is the link to those instructions.
Restore a recent backup or portable company file. http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/inproducthelp/core/qb2k12/contentpackage/core/file_restore/task_data_restore.html covers the steps involved if you have made such a backup.
Create a new company file.
Important: Due to the severity of the corruption in the company file, Intuit Data Services are unable to repair these files."
From Expert: Best is to go back to the last known good file, and open it. The repair steps herein leave you with limited options. If the file has been virus infected, a quarantine or similar file isolation is warranted. If the file is corrupted, Intuit does not believe the file as corrupted can be repaired.
A review of your backups, both directly in QuickBooks and system wide, through Windows, will generate a viable QuickBooks backup that is not too old or corrupted for reinstallation. I generally recommend a workaround in cases like these, since the file repair is difficult if not impossible for the non-computer tech.
There are vendors who offer software that they guarantee will recover files like yours. We can't recommend any of them, but a simple web search for QuickBooks repair files will provide a number of vendors. Both software and service options are available if you don't have a viable backup file you can update to current activity.
Good luck. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a virus and the file is not corrupted.
in the open window, if I select one of the company file on this list it will open. if I open from file menu, and select a company not on the list I get this error
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
if you can access your company file(s), copy them to a flash drive and save them.
Getting the error codes you specify from the file menu in QuickBooks leads me to believe that the file you are trying to open is damaged. Opening other files directly gets you to operating QuickBooks and a usable file.
If you can copy/backup all your date files to a flash drive, do so. I believe that the best resolution is a workaround; that is, a new installation of your QuickBooks software. Or, barring that, going back in time to a restore point where your QuickBooks did not have this affliction, then restoring the QuickBooks files you saved to a flash drive.
You did not mention when you might have updated QuickBooks last online. While your error code does not indicate an update error, opening a file through the software generates the error codes. You did not mention being able to open the specific file directly. If you could, a re-install of QuickBooks seems like a good repair step.
Thanks again. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.
Is it the same company file that will open from the list but not from the file menu ?
it seems more likely that it is a different file. It might be a different company or just a different version of the file.
if you have the one open and click file / save as
it will show you what folder it is in now.
if that is a different folder than the one that you open with file / open than it is of course a different file
try opening quickbooks in safe mode by holding the cntrl key down while double clicking on the quickbooks icon
then try to open it from the file menu and let me know if it works.
you can also try copying the file through windows to a different folder
rename it leaving the .qbw at the end the same
then right click on the new copy and select properties
make sure that it is not set to read only or system
then double click on this new file to see if it will open
You can also try to verify the file for corruption
file / file utilities / verify and rebuild.