Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

A bookkeeper I hired (and fired) entered all my sales for

Customer Question

A bookkeeper I hired (and fired) entered all my sales for the last few months as journal entries (instead of on sales receipts). Now I can't seem to track sales - none of the journal entries are tied to items, just accounts, so when I run a sales report,
it comes up empty. (The sales do show up on a P&L report) Would there be a good reason for her to have done this...or do I need to go back and re-enter everything as sales receipts?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
No there was no good reason for her to do it.the reason she did it was that she had an accounting background rather than experience using quickbooks or any other computerized business systemShe did what was fastest and easiest for her, but not what a business program expects or what would make it easier for the customer to understand his bill or the company owner to track it. She would be able to look at the journal entries and tell you what happened. But the system will not do the reports or let you reprint invoices or a few other things I would suggest that you at least start making invoices in the future. As to whether you delete her old stuff and re enter as invoices ( you can not enter the invoice and not delete her stuff or it will double count everything) or just leave it as it is and go forward correctly and know that you will not have accurate sales reports ( though the total dollars in the journal will be correct) is up to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - We don't use invoices - our receipts are bar/food/ticket receipts. I think the reason she didn't want to use the sales receipt might have had to do with the fact that we have weekly expenses that have to come out of the receipts (supplies, fruit for the bar, etc.) In the past I had entered those as negative amounts on the sales receipts- is that ok to do?Or is there a better way?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
It depends how much you want to track.If you don't really have inventory you don't need to invoice.But I would still put out like a daily invoice. Typically you would invoice the total sales and then put the expenses into overhead. If you pull the cost out of the receipts you don't get true sales dollars.Really it depends how much work you want to do on the system and how much time you will put into it vs how detailed and accurate your reports will be. The more detail you put in the more you get out