R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience:  A member of the Intuit Ask a Tax Expert team and 10 years as QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor.

I switched from PC to Mac. Bought new Quicken for Mac. Backed

I switched from PC to Mac. Bought new Quicken for Mac. Backed up data on a thumb drive and tried to import. Got error message:There is no application set to open the document “QDATA2013 quicken backup.QDF-backup”. Tried to get app from my desktop and I can see it but it is in light grey and I cant open. Tried Apple App store and it says no app available. How can I import all my data from My old computer?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 8 months ago.

R. Klein, EA :

Hello and thanks for contacting us at JustAnswer. Please keep in mind that we are here to help, but we are not part of Intuit of Quicken.

R. Klein, EA :

Unlike TurboTax, the PC and Mac versions of Quicken are NOT the same product and cannot use the same data file.

R. Klein, EA :

Depending on the version(s) of the software you have, you may be able to export your PC version and then re-import it into the Mac version.

R. Klein, EA :

The Mac version of Quicken does not have as many features as the PC version, and as a result, some of your data may be lost inthe conversion process.

Customer:

Can I run the PC version on My Mac?

Customer:

The issue I have is that my PC is dying

R. Klein, EA :

You can run the PC software on your Mac using a Windows emulator, like Parallels for Mac.

R. Klein, EA :

I personally use this, although it is much slower than running on a PC directly

Customer:

but best bet is to install pc version of quicken to mac and then convert?

R. Klein, EA :

There are several Windows emulators for Mac, although I am only familiar with using Parallels. I am not endorsing this product, however.

R. Klein, EA :

If you install the PC version on a Windows emulator, there s no need to convert your data.

Customer:

I understand. I just cant afford to lose any data as I have multiple accounts and 5 years of taxes to do... :(

Customer:

So I can get a windows emulator from Apple App store?

R. Klein, EA :

You can find emulators by googling it or in the app store...

Customer:

Thanks

R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience: A member of the Intuit Ask a Tax Expert team and 10 years as QuickBooks Certified Pro Advisor.