Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.

Hi RichieMe, my desktop (HP) which runs Vista & is approximately

Hi RichieMe, my desktop (HP) which runs Vista & is approximately 5-6 years old has been running very poorly lately. I get message errors, freeze ups, etc. I have to reboot numerous times. Sometimes it runs OK than other times not so much. It never has been the fastest desktop that I've owned. I've removed many programs that my girlfriend has installed unknowingly, I've cleaned up files, removed McAfee & replaced with Norton and I've defraged as well. I do this maintenance, it runs great and then its eventually back to the same sluggishness. Today I started it up & it instantly ran through an "HP diagnostic test" & restarted many time. Finally the computer booted up. I checked to see if there were any new programs but there was nothing. Any ideas on what else I can do to get this desktop running more dependably and efficiently?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, I want to clear any corruption within the hard drive or the registry.

do the following please

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Than test and let me know how it now performs please.

thank you