Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

Quicken essentials for Mac running OS 10.6. The program cannot

Quicken essentials for Mac running OS 10.6. The program cannot access the data file because of some problem with read/write to its application support folder. I've followed the suggestions but nothing has changed. It had been working for some time. All my financial data for 2013 is in that data file.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

copy the data file to another folder and give it a new name

highlight this new file and hit command I to see the properties

make sure that it is not set to read only or hidden or system

then try to double click on it and see if it will open

If the problem is not with the data file

see if you can open the quicken program from the application folder

if you can not do that.

drag it to the trash can

reboot the computer

install it again

If you purchased from Intuit directly you can download again for 3 years.

go to https://quicken.intuit.com/commerce/account/secure/login.jsp?pagecontext=download

sign in with the email address and password XXXXX you used when you purchased it

click on downloads and unlocks

That should give you a list of any intuit product that you purchased online within the last 3 years with a download button. Click the download button next to the product that you want and then select RUN.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

so far so good, but it's past 11pm locally so I won't be able to finish until the morning. I'm sure I'll be giving you a high rating regardless.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No luck; did the following:

- moved and renamed data file, still got error message: "Quicken is unable to read & write to its application support folder"

- trashed the application, rebooted, and reinstalled Quicken from original DVD --> same error message

ok that is probably something wrong with the permissions for the folder where the program is installed

what version operating system do you have ? It should be something like os x 8.6 or snow leopard or lion etc.

those files are stored in [your user account]/Library/Application Support/Quicken Essentials.

drag the quicken to the trash can again

then drag that folder to the trash can [your user account]/Library/Application Support/Quicken Essentials.

Make sure that your data file is safe before you do that. It should not be in that folder but you should make sure that it is not before you delete the folder

then re install the quicken again

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

OS X 10.6.8

drag the quicken to the trash can again

then re install the quicken again

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.