Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing, CISCO certified technician.
30970729

Quickbooks will not align checks

Customer Question

Quickbooks Mac 2013 will not align checks anymore. Been using it for years. I've tried the solutions QB suggests with no help. I've used the QB grid but there is no change with the alignment. I've also restarted my printer, updated QB and restarted QB. The alignment does not change no matter where I align the grid. 1st time in over 10 years I can't correctly align the checks. I've tried every "value on the X/Y" axis and it does not change the way it prints. 

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

If the problem has started suddenly, then the printer driver may need updating.

Try reinstalling the latest driver for your printer and let me know if that helps.

Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I had already updated the drivers and all the software in trying to repair the problem. What is interesting is that when I set the check alignment X & Y axis nothing changes when I print. No matter what number I put in. And yes this is a new problem that just started yesterday.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

What version of QB are you using on the Mac?

Have you tried anything else to repair the problem?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm using Quickbooks 2013 for Mac, version V14.0.9 R10 I've tried rebooting the entire system. Turning off the printer and restarting it. I found info regarding trying to rename a qb.print file, but can't find this file on my hard drive.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi Gail,

If reinstalling the driver did not help, then the QB Print file may have got corrupted.

The file you need to rename is XXXXX XXXXX close QB, have a look for this file and rename it, then open QB and try printing a check again - QB will recreate the file and it should now print normally :)

Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I found all this information on my own regarding recreating the print file. But, I have scanned my computer and my external hard drive and cannot find this file. I don't know where to look for it and I've tried to find this file since yesterday. Where would I look? Any ideas? Because I basically got this far on my own. I run Mac OS X 10.8 and cannot locate the qbprint file and cannot find any sources on line telling me how to locate this on my hard drive.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Are you looking for the correct file? You mentioned you were looking for a qb.print file, but it is actually called Qbprint.qbp

You can search for the file using Finder on your Mac. Type the name into the Search box and press Enter. The file will be located on the computer's internal hard drive.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am using Finder on my Mac. I have searched under "all my files" and every other option I can think of. Qbprint.qbp does not come up. How else can I find it? I have also searched my external hard drive. Is there a folder or path I can follow to try and find this file. Searching in Finder does not find it. Although I cannot find this file, I have figured this out on my own. The "scale" in the print que had been reduced to 80%. Not sure how it got changed, but I use Quickbooks for 2 different companies so I kept going back and forth until I could see the difference between 1 print que and then the other. Still rather interesting that I cannot find this file on my hard drive.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Indeed.

I see you have rated my service as poor.

I will opt out and see if another expert can assist you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do not need anymore assistance. Thanks.