Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

How can I enter a new account in an investment file for a

How can I enter a new account in an investment file for a brokerage account already in existence? No cash is being moved. Quicken always wants to know which account the money is coming from
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

Hi there I am having a bit of difficulty following your question as I see that you are having difficulty translating quickens information.

Quicken uses the following definitions

an ACCOUNT is a bank account or investment account. It has its own register and looks something like a checkbook

a File is a data file for one person or one business. It can contain many accounts of different types.

a TRANSACTION is an event in one of these accounts as in writing a check for a bank account or buying a stock in a brokerage account.

When you say the brokerage account is already in existence. Does that mean that it already has a register in quicken and is listed as an account in quicken. Or is it a mutual fund that you purchased from within a brokerage account and want to list the details of the mutual fund ?

If you could be very clear about what actually happened in real life using plain English and how quicken is dealing with it or not dealing with it, than I can answer you in the same simple English and we can get it all sorted out.

thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Robert, my name is Noel.

I recently updated by Quicken to 2014. When I did a backup from my summer location and moved to my winter location I tried to download a restore for a Quicken Investment Accoount on my Florida Computer.

Something happened during my restore. and I can no longer access the file. I have installed 2014, but still cant access the account, and would like to recreate it in Quicken 2014, but when entering a new transaction in the Rigister, Quicken want to know which of my quicken accounts the money came from. It didn"t come from any of them. The stocks are already in existenct.

Does the explain my predicament?

Noel

got you. would you like to work on the original problem of finding your file or do you just want the answer to where the money came from when you recreate the account ?

I just tried it and I didn't get that question of where the money came from.

How did you create the account ?

I started at tools / add an account

and then selected brokerage and the name of the brokerage account

It may be that 2014 is a bit different than the 2012 I tried it on. But you may also have inadvertently tried to add it to an existing brokerage account ( which quicken allows you to do ) In that case it would treat it like a stock purchase and would want to know where the money came from if there was not enough cash in the account to make the purchase.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Lets work on recreating a new register, since there are only 18 securities in the portfolio.

How did you create the account ?

I started at tools / add an account

I tried to duplicate it so that I could see if there was an option to just not put it in. I would think that one of the drop down box selections would do that or add account button etc. but I could not duplicate it on my system.

If nothing else works you can create a bank account and put a starting balance in for the security value and transfer from that and just leave the now empty account or even delete it afterwards.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.