Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

Quicken just updated my program. Now I cannot print the reconciliation

Customer Question

Quicken just updated my program. Now I cannot print the reconciliation summary to the HP 2600 printer. Only the HP 26 faxes are available.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

What version of quicken are you using and what operating system.

Any version prior to 2010 may have problems printing under windows 7. Anything before 2008 will definately not print under windows 7.

If that is not the problem

go to

file / printer setup / reports and checks

make sure that you have the correct printer selected there.

Go to

edit / preferences / quicken

select NOTIFY

UNCHECK the box next to "Warn on duplicate checks"

If that does not work

close quicken

go to printers and faxes folder

highlight and delete by pushing the delete key on your keyboard the quicken pdf printer

then

from the windows start menu / search command

select search for all files

under advanced options

select search for hidden files and search in system folders

search for wpr.dat

rename any copies that you find to wpr.old ignore the warning that windows gives you.

reboot the computer

start quicken

again go to file / printer setup

select the proper printer.

Please let me know if that works there are a few other things that we can try but those are the easiest solutions that fix the most possible causes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have the Quicken 2010. When I get to the printer to select,

Only HP 2600 faxes are listed not the HP 2600 printer.

did you do everything in the post above ?

and does the printer show up in your printers and devices folder.

When you go to file / printer setup in the quicken program do you see the correct printer ? You need to select it there before you can print with it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I deleted the Quicken.pdf printer, but I still cannot get Quicken to show the HP 2600 printer. It is listed as my default printer in the printer and devices folder.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can you undo the last Quicken update? I did not have a problem until the Quicken was updated. Obviously, I do not want any more updates.

You can try doing a system restore to a time when everything was working. That should back off any updates made after the date that you restore to.

system restore instructions XP VISTA

start menu /all programs / accesories / system tools / system restore

select restore to an earlier date.

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

System restore instructions - windows 7

type rstrui.exe in the white search box on the windows start menu and hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the list that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I do not have Vista. I have XP 7

there is no xp 7 it is either xp or windows 7

there were two sets of instructions. one for vista or xp and one set for windows 7 or 8

system restore instructions XP VISTA

select restore to an earlier date.

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

System restore instructions - windows 7

select restore to an earlier date.

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can you give me the date of the last update? My mistake, it is Windows .

This is very frustrating to fix as I am not an expert obviously. I printed out your message for the Windows 7 and will try it out and get back to you tomorrow.

I have no idea when you would have done the update to be honest. Your best bet is to try to remember when you were last able to print from it succesfully
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Last night when I tried to use your instructions, I could only go back to Oct. 15 to restart with the restored data. There is no search all files or search system folder in the area to be corrected.

What I did find was:

the Quicken printer preference had 100 HP 2600 faxes listed. I deleted all the faxes, except one : HP2600 series fax 1, it would not delete.

I have no idea where all those HP26 fax number came from as I seldom fax any thing.

I am just glad to be able to print now.

Thank you for your help. I just received a message from Quicken that an update is available. Obviously, I will not do any more updates!

My guess is that every time you tried to print it had the fax section of the all in one printer set up as a printer and it got listed as default at some time. so every time you hit print and did not specify a printer it went to the fax and never got faxed out and you just thought it didn't work and hit the print again more carefully and got it printed through the normal printer and over time they built up sitting there. But it could also have just been one of those fun windows glitches.

In any case I am very glad that you can print now. If you are happy I am happy and I would really appreciate if you would give me an excellent rating. I am dependent on your rating me for my status on this site and to allow me to be paid for my time

thank you.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I appreciate your help. I know the problem was from the update. I am sorry it took so much time.

That is no problem it was a pleasure working with you. As long as I get a good rating from you I am happy because that is what lets me get paid.

If you have any problems in the future please come back and you can request me directly by using this link

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=23372949&FID=219

or by putting FOR ROBERT M in the beginning of the question.