Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

I need to put my quick books on my lap top how do I do it

I need to put my quick books on my lap top how do I do it and can I sync my computers or do I have to enter all of my data twice?
Thank you for your time

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

If you have the same version on both computers you can do it a couple of ways. The easiest is to just copy the .qdb file that contains your data to the new computer. Then when the quickbooks is installed go to file / open company and you will get a copy of the data open just the way it was on the desktop. However changes made to one will not reflect in the other one. They will be two separate sets of data.

If you have the computers on the same network you can open the folder with the quickbooks data up for sharing. Then you can open it from the new computer ( after you install the new quickbooks ) by going to file / open company and browsing through the network to the other compute and opening the file. In that case you will have one set of data that you can modify from either computer. But you wont be able to access it at all from the laptop if you are away from the computer that holds the data.

Please let me know if you need more details about how to implement either solution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I install my quickbooks that I have on my home computer to my lap top? or do I have to buy a new quick books I have 2012 pro version now

Looks like you are good on that one. With a single user license you are allowed to put it on 1 computer AND an additional laptop as long as its the same user. so you do not need to buy an additional copy

I would suggest downloading the software from this link rather than using the cd as it will have to be on the same release and the one from the cd has probably updated itself by now.

You will need your license number to install it. You can look that up on this link if you do not know it

if you look in quickbooks under help / about it will tell you what release you are on. You want them both on the same release and the easiest way to do that is to make sure they are both updated to the latest release. 14 for 2012 pro.