Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I am getting an error message when I am trying to send an email

I am getting an error message when I am trying to send an email from Quickbooks Pro 2014 . The error message: Borland Database Engine not installed. Can't load Corel Address Book Service Provider.

I have talked with Quickbooks tech support. They say it is not their problem.
I do not have WordPerfect installed on my computer.

Help.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

go to control panel / internet options

under the programs tab see what it shows for email program and let me know please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have only the option of 'set programs'

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

What operating system are you using and what are you using for your email ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7, and Gmail for email.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

download the gmail notifier from this link http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_windows.html

that allows gmail to be used as the default email program

then follow these steps for setting up quickbooks to use gmail to do emailing

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW19358

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I downloaded the gmail notifier from your link.

But I receive the same error message: Borland Database Engine not installed. Can't load Corel Address Book Service Provider. ....after Step 4 of the instructions (which is from Preferences, select 'send forms'

When I click 'OK', the Quickbooks program crashes. This is exactly how it has happened previously.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Re install the quickbooks software using the instructions below. Make sure that you use the clean install utilities to uninstall the old version first..

QUICKBOOKS CLEAN INSTALL

try doing a clean install with the instructions on this page. It should not effect your data but i always recomend making sure that you have a good back up and / or a copy of your data file ( it ends .qbw ) in a safe place such as a flash drive or another folder.

It requires that you have a copy of the quickbooks install cd or download. If you downloaded from intuit you can get another copy free.

If you purchased from Intuit directly you can download again for 3 years.

For quickbooks go to https://www.intuit.com/login/

click on cart orders downloads

sign in with your intuit id and password. ( usually your email address is the id )

click on downloads and unlocks

That should give you a list of any intuit product that you purchased online within the last 3 years with a download button.

This page has complete instructions for the uninstall and reinstall INCLUDING a clean install utility that you want to download and run.

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW12212

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not done this step...but earlier today in talking with the tech support of Quickbooks, the agent updated my program to Quickbooks Pro Plus 2014.

Do you still recommend this step?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It may not make a difference but re installing or even upgrading may leave the original problem if you don't clear everything out of the original install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not find 'cart orders downloads'.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

click on download software on the left before you log in and it will put you there. they change the website a little bit every so often

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have run the clean install, and reinstalled 2014 QB Pro. I ran an additional backup before I started, and installed the correct files. YAY! I have been able to send an email from my invoice window.

However, when I click on the Help menu, I get the same error message.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

that's kind of strange I don't see how the Borland thing would have anything to do with it. I think it may be that they use a file with the same name and the quickbooks is pulling up the wrong file.

Can you go to the control panel / add remove programs link

see if there is anything in there that might be from Borland and uninstall it if there is. You might have to re install the quickbooks again if you do find it, Or if you want to say its working well enough and not worth the bother that is up to you. I will work with you until you are satisfied. But it might take a while to track down what exactly is stuck in there that the quickbooks is picking up instead of what it should be. And its possible that it can go back to where you have the problem with the invoices next time you re install

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have anything with the word Borland.

I do have "Quickbooks Runtime Redistributable". This is the only QB file I did not uninstall. I didn't know what it was, so I left it. The new 2014 QB Pro file is there.

I have tried it again. And the same error message comes up on the "Support" choice of the Help menu. I think I can live with that.

I am still not able to access the "help" choice of the Help menu. When I click on it, I just get the working circle, like it is trying...but then that goes away. At least it doesn't crash.

For now, the program is working better. And I don't want to go through another install. So unless you have an immediate suggestion to try, I am satisfied. and thanks for your help.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

what I think happened is something once got installed that used some piece of the Borland thing. And when it got uninstalled it left a piece somewhere. That piece just happens to have the same name as a file that quicken needs and it got stuck somewhere that either has priority over where quicken looks for its thing or in the same place but its set to read only and the quicken cant over write it when it installs. That one file gets opened instead of the quicken file. It can be really hard to track down exactly where and what it is.

I can think of one thing that would not be that difficult to try. That would be to re install the quickbooks software but when it installs choose the option for a custom install and change the folder that it gets installed into to a different one. You can just create a new folder for it the important part is that it goes into a folder different than the one that it would default to installing into. Its up to you whether it is worth the bother.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is definitely in there somewhere. It just popped up when I was working on a deposit, but it did not crash the program. It is odd, seems to come in different places now, sometimes it crashes, sometimes not.

When I did the reinstall, I had created a new folder and had put the back up in the new folder.

I think after being at this for 10+ hours today, I can live with this.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok. If you are happy I am happy. I would appreciate if you would give me a good rating as that affects my standing on the site and allows me to be paid.

I will hold the question open even after you rate me and if you have more problems and think its worth the time to try to fix I will be happy to continue with it in the future even after you rate me.

Thank you.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
I was just following up on our work. Thank you very much for the rating. If you have further issues with this same problem you can post in the original problem and i will give you more help for free. If you would like to go to this page and add it to your favorates you can then use it to send me a question directly

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-robmark/