this is how you apply a payment to an invoice as per quickbooks
Edit the deposit to create a credit to the customer:
- Open the original deposit.
- In the Received From column, enter the customer name used on the original invoice.
- Click OK on the following message: The customer has outstanding invoices. To apply this payment to those invoices, use the Receive Payments window before you deposit the payments.
- In the From Account column, replace the income or other type of account with the Accounts Receivable account used on the original invoice.
- Click Save & Close.
Apply the credit to the original invoice:
1. Select Receive Payment from the Customer menu,
2. In the Customer Payment window, select the customer name used on the original invoice.
3. Click on the invoice to which you wish to apply the credit.
4. Click Discounts and Credits, and place a check mark beside the credit amount you wish to apply.
5. Click Done.
6. Click Save & Close.
7. From the Customer Center, open the original invoice. Paid should show on the Invoice.
to change the sort order of anything that you are looking at you can click on the title bar above the columns where it has says what is in the column below it. So if you click on the word date above the date column the invoices should show up in date order