Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

I ma trying to import a .iif file qith our fiscal year budget

Customer Question

I ma trying to import a .iif file qith our fiscal year budget 8/1/13 -7/31/14. It imports but into two different budgets. One with January -December the other with January thru July. The latter comes in as a FY 2012-2013 budget. Can these be merged? The .iif file does specify a start date of 8/1/13. My guess is somewhere something is not formatted right?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you.

It will be the indication to which budget it belongs to, or the date.

Open the iif file in Excel, and check it there.

Make sure that the associated values on the line items that have the problem, are changed to correspond with the items on the line items that do go to the correct budget.

If you have difficulties doing this, let me know please and I will look at the iif file for you.

Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

hOW do I attach the .iif file?

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Thanks

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

File # XXXXX

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Did you get the file?

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
yes I did Barry, looking at it now.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Can you tell me which line in the file is going to the incorrect budget and which one to the correct budget please?

Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

They are all going to thew right line.

However they are splitting into two budgets; One called Fy 13 and one called FY 14 the latter has the numbers in August - December which are correct. However the January-July numbers go into a separate budget named FY 12

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
ok, then it looks like you have your budgets setup to run on a Fiscal year, while you are running on a calendar year.

Go into the Company menu, Company Information, and edit the information of your Financial Year from the ‘Financial Year’ field.

Make sure this is set correctly, and it should be set to the Calendar year (January to December) as from what you are describing it is set to a Fiscal year which you do not want.

Do this, then import the budget and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

In my company information settings I already have under report information First month in Fiscal year as August and Tax Year as July but still same problem. This is how it was originally set!

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Barry

I wanted you to check under ‘Financial Year’ field.

Not report information.

Did you check under this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

There is no financial year field in the company information dialogue under compnay

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Which version of Quickbooks are you running Barry?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

QuickBooks Pro 2010 r16

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
ok, it should be under Company > Company Information

But download my version of your budget file and import it.

Go to www.wikisend.com and download under File ID 388566

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I DOWNLOADED THE FILE, deleted all previous budgtes and imported but got the same thing (split years). Again in Company > Company Information there is no fiscal year setting. SDee screen shot.Screen shot

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
ok, change the fiscal year under reports to a calendar year, then import.

What results do you then get?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok I did but the budget came in as a calendar year budget. How do I swithch it to the FIscal year BUDGET?

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Go back into Company > Company Information and under reports set it back to the Fiscal year.

Is it though now displaying the data correct in the Budget that we imported?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

nOPE. only aUG13 - dEC 13

sAME ON bUDGET rEPORT

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
ok, I am out of ideas then sorry Barry

Nothing in the file is a problem, so I cannot understand what the issue would be

I will opt out for another expert that may have new ideas
Sorry I could not solve this for you Barry.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Thanks. I am equally baffled. AS far as charges go I am only charged when I get an answer that works? When can I expect a reply from next expert?

FYI I did try to set up a new company from scratch and reimport data but that did not seem to work either.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Yes, you are only charged when you rate (when you get an answer that works).

I am not sure on the next expert, as I have no control over this, but it will be as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for all of your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Your most welcome Barry.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Still have not heard back from anyone

Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

Can we start at the beginning please ? You imported an IIF file that has transactions in it. What created that file ?

Do the accounts and registers come up correctly ?

A budget is usually redone at the time the report is created so to have things in the wrong years would mean that they should be in the wrong years in the accounts as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Excel

Here is where I am now. I started a new company and reimported a new COA which I am tweaking. Budget will have to be tweaked after that.

So I will have to continue tomorrow.

In the meantime we can look at the old company and see if we can fix that.

ok so you created the transactions in excel and imported them

can you see the imported transactions in the account registers ?

what type of transactions are they ?

Did you want to work on that tonight or tomorrow ? I am probably going to be offline for at least a couple of hours tonight but I will be here tomorrow.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Tomorrow.

Basic problem as discussed above is that when I import the Budget.iif file (which has 8//13 under start date) QuickBooks accepts the budget but splits into two fiscal years FY 13 and Fy 14. I obviously want one budget for FY 14 starting in August. Fy 13 is Jan 13- Jul13 after import and FY 14 is Aug 13 thru Dec 13 after import. Does spark any clues?. If not see you tomorrow.

I may have to do some research I didn't even think you could import a budget file. But something is off in either the way your fiscal year is set up that should either go jan to dec or april 15th to april 14th for tax reasons. it shouldn't break in august.

I would take another look at the excel file and see if there is any field in there that has 13 and 14 or 2013 and 2014 in any column in the sheet that corresponds to the way it was split up. or any number that switches with the same entries that split that way. There may be a field in the budget file that you didn't account for and it picked up a column you didn't think was meaningful.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hold off for now. Until I restructure the COA and Budget and try this again.

No problem. I will be here whenever you want to post back in. The site may send you reminder emails but I have no control over them and whether and when they get sent
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Talked to a quicken rep. Between using Pro2010 and the .iif format being outmoded AND a possible corrupt software install or corrupt file it doesn't seem to want to work the way I want. Please close the ticket and list it as unsolved. Thanks for the efforts. BotXXX XXne we need ot move up to a new Version of QuickBooks. We will keep you as a resource.

Thank you. If it was a corrupt data file you can try the verify and rebuild routine in quickbooks under file / file utilities

If it was a corrupt program file than you can re install the software.

I suspect it is more of a mismatch between the budget file and the way you created the iif file. I don't know if a more recent version of quickbooks would help. I suspect not but if quickbooks says it will than I wont argue with then over it,