Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

I am using the latest version of Quicken. In the checking

Customer Question

I am using the latest version of Quicken. In the checking section I can enter transactions fine but the program will not provide me with a balance in the balance column, so that I can have a new balance after each entry. There is a total balance at the top of the page, but no running balance, which is what I want.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Put the account in 2 line mode and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner .

It appears you have de-selected the Balance column as a column to be displayed.

Once doing this, you should then see it.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Thank you
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

If you are using the essentials version on the mac, that is a known problem

You need to sort the register by date to get the running balance to appear.

There is a title bar above the columns that says what is in the column below it. If you click on that title bar right where it has the actual word "Date" it will sort by date and the balance column will re appear.

That is a new "feature" on the essentials version

What happens is that if the register is not sorted in date order the running balance will of course not match the statement that you get from your bank. A lot of people were complaining that it was doing something wrong. Rather than try to explain this to thousands of people quicken decided to just blank out the balance column when its not sorted in date order.