jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Three years as Expert support for Turbotax Ask a Tax Expert, Quickbooks support and use >6 yrs

I am trying to setup a new Quickbooks account for a finance

Customer Question

I am trying to setup a new Quickbooks account for a finance company that we are starting. We own a small car dealership and the IRS gives some large tax savings if we sell these loans to another entity. I am trying to figure out how to setup the account so that I see loans reflected properly as an Asset. The only option I see that makes sense is Financial Services company. This is not really accurate. I look forward to your reply.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  jgordosea replied 10 months ago.

Greetings,

Although there are a number of templates that you can use to set up a new QuickBooks company, those are general and may contain (or omit) accounts that you will need in your new company. Unfortunately, there may not be a good fit for you.

Financial services may be the closest fit and then you would make changes to the chart of accounts, as needed. That may be quite a large task.

If Financial Services is not a close fit (with many accounts not relevant or that would be deleted) it may be better to start with a very basic services company.

Another option that you may want to consider is to set up the new company based on an existing company if you have many accounts you will continue to use that are not in any of the templates for a new company. This will bring the history into the new company.

This can also be a useful tool as you build the new company and try several combinations of that new company, as you can make more than one file at first and perhaps save time to not undo changes if you have one saved without changes to the accounts.

Similarly, the additional accounts needed would be added to that chart of accounts.

For more information see http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW12245

Also, when you create a new QuickBooks company file, you may want to use lists, templates, and memorized reports from your existing company file. The method and order in which you import your lists matters, as some lists depend on information in other lists.

For details see http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12741

From the QuickBooks support site:

"Make no mistake about this: Starting a new company file is a lot of work and it will take a lot of your time."

So, the process is to find one that can meet some or most of your needs and then to add or change accounts to fit your purposes.

Please ask if you need more help as you take on the task of creating the new company.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

If there is no specific template that is recommended, can you please provide a recommended list of those most commonly used to setup a Lender or similar business to what I have described.

Thanks!

Hello again,

Without knowing many more specifics about the accounts and activities that you will have to record in the new company I am not able to tell you which preset chart of accounts is best suited to your particular circumstances.

Unfortunately there is no list that I can provide to be used as by a lender. The accounts and lists that QuickBooks creates are to help you get started and do not fit every business. Always, after QuickBooks sets up your company, you must add additional accounts, delete accounts you don't need, and modify your company lists to fit your business.

Financial services may be as good as it gets and as close to what you need as is available, but only you know what you are looking for in the chart of accounts. It is actually the other aspects of your business and not the presence of loans that you will want to guide your choice of preset accounts.

Regardless of which set of preset accounts you start with, each new loan will have to be entered as an asset in an asset account you create for that purpose if you will not record these as account receivables.

It may be that using subaccounts for different types of loans could useful for you to manage the information on the loans (again that is specific to your needs, for example if you have several lenders and want to track totals for each lender subaccount within the asset account you create ).

Each loan that is later sold can then be offset in that same subaccount.

Or, you could consider recording each loan as an account receivable (which may benefit the management of the loans due to the reports for accounts receivable that are in the program).

In that case you can use the detailed instructions from QuickBooks at http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW12900

when you sell the receivable.

There is quite a lot or work to do there with each sale but (again depending on your business activity) that may be better to track balance and receive payments on the loans even though the sale process is more difficult.

Hope this helps to guide you as you make the choice of which preset beginning chart to use for the new company that will be close to what you will be doing and how to set up the loans either for ease of selling or better tracking balances.

Please do continue to ask for more help, if needed.

Thank you.