Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

We are trying to email a QB MAC converted to Windows file to

We are trying to email a QB MAC converted to Windows file to out accountant. She received it but is unable to open it. Can you help us make a backup and email it again? We could email it to you to see if it can be or is changed to Windows and then email it to the accountant.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your financial software question.

the best way to do that is to use a portable file

You can create a portable file under the file / export menu

you can then import the portable file into windows quickbooks

under file / import

that is the best way to go between different versions of quickbooks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Did we specify we are using QuickBooks for Mac? When we go to Export under File we are given two options: Lists to IIF File..... and Addresses to Text File...

We're not seeing "portable file"

I am pretty sure that you can do it on the mac as well. But Intuits website has been broken for a week and its hard to get any detailed instructions.

try the file / save

or file / create a copy

otherwise to send a copy to a windows machine the version has to be within 1 year of each other. ie if you had 2011 the accountant would need 2010 2011 or 2009

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Robert, We're not finding any of these options on our Menu Bar under file. On the Mac version it is not listing file/save or file/create a copy.

We think our versions are the same but cannot confirm until tomorrow.

Is it possible that you would have to be looking at this on a Mac as well in order to be able to give us the answer we need?

what year is the mac and what year and version is the windows quickbooks

If I can get that I can find you the best way to do this

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We have QuickBooks for Mac 2012 and our acct has QB Windows 2012

you should be able to create a backup file for windows

they have to restore that file

if it didn't work the first time

do a verify and rebuild on it

and export it again

it should have a qbb extension

sometimes they just get corrupted either when they are created or in the email process and if you create and email it again it will work

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.