DanielleCPA
DanielleCPA, CPA
Experience:  Certified Quickbooks ProAdvisor & Small Business Accountant
50747609

How can I combine items when "adding time and costs" to in

How can I combine items when "adding time and costs" to invoice
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  DanielleCPA replied 1 year ago.

DanielleCPA :

Welcome and thanks for your question!

DanielleCPA :

What version of Quickbooks are you using?

Customer:

Quickbooks Premier : contractors edition 2013

DanielleCPA :

Try these steps:

DanielleCPA :

1. From the Customers menu, select Create Invoice

2. From the Customer:Job drop-down, select a Customer:Job for whom billable expenses have been entered.

3. When the message appears The customer or job you’ve selected has outstanding billable time and/or costs, choose the option Select the outstanding billable time and costs to add to this invoice.

4. Click OK.

5. Place a check mark next to all activities for one employee or vendor.

6. Check the box for Print selected time and costs as one invoice item.

7. Click OK .

8. On the Choose billable time and costs window click the appropriate tab, depending on whether you wish to bill the customer for time, expenses, mileage or items.

9. Check off all activities for the first employee or vendor.

10. Check the box Print selected time and costs as one invoice item.

11. Click OK to add these expenses to the invoice.

12. Click Add Time/Costs to add information for another employee or vendor if necessary.

13. Repeat steps 5-11 to add these amounts as a single line item also.

Combine Reimbursable Expenses by Employee or Vendor on an Invoice
DanielleCPA :

I apologize - I'm not sure why that last line showed up so large.

Customer:

Let me give you an example ; On the time tab if I check multiple employees it will combine each employee on the invoice ( Thats OK) However if I have 8 bills under the item Lighting They each take a line on the invoice instead of making one " Lighting line

DanielleCPA :

Ok, I see what you're saying.

DanielleCPA :

Have you tried looking at the print preview?

DanielleCPA :

They will show as individual items within the "create invoice" view in Quickbooks, but if you preview the invoice, you should only see one line item. Is that what's happening?

Customer:

Yes that does bring it to one line item // . In my construction I have 31 categories that I use for the contract and would like to invoice dividing into the same categories.

DanielleCPA :

Ok - so you want separate groups for each category?

Customer:

Yes

DanielleCPA :

Ok - what you can do is add the items to the invoice separately. So, if you have 5 items you want to bill under "lighting", select those 5 items, check the box to print as one invoice item and click ok to add to the invoice.

DanielleCPA :

Repeat on the invoice with the next group of items and so on and so forth.

DanielleCPA :

I know it's a tedious process, but it will work.

Customer:

check the box to print as one invoice item and click ok to add to the invoice. ( Where is this "box"??

DanielleCPA :

When you are in the "choose billable time and costs" screen, there is a box in the lower left hand corner of that window.

Customer:

I got it to combine as you said // Is there any way to change the name Reimb Group ?

DanielleCPA :

Unfortunately, you are stuck with that name. But you can change the description to coincide with your categories so it is more evident what is being grouped together.

Customer:

That may work ok. I think I can build on the info you gave me and make it work. I will admit of all the great things quickbooks does this is a little cumbersome

Customer:

Thank You

DanielleCPA :

You're welcome.

DanielleCPA, CPA
Experience: Certified Quickbooks ProAdvisor & Small Business Accountant