PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  Have used almost every software package available.

We are landlords who have used QB for some time. We would

We are landlords who have used QB for some time. We would like to give our tenants the option to pay online, and would like to use the Intuit Payment Network (IPN). Each customer (tenant) would receive an invoice from us, and would, in turn, pay us using the IPN. No problem; we've tried it and it works nicely.

Here is our problem: If a tenant fails to pay their rent, and we must go to court to evict them, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO RECEIVE ANY MORE RENT PAYMENTS FROM THEM OR OUR CASE WILL BE THROWN OUT OF COURT. From what we can see, a tenant who is being evicted could chose to bring up an old, unpaid invoice, make a tiny payment, and stop the eviction in its tracks.

My question is: Is there a way for us to block any and all online payments from a given customer? For instance, if an invoice becomes overdue by 30 or more days, can we cancel the ability for the customer to pay it online? Can we also make it IMPOSSIBLE for a given customer to send us money online, whether via an old invoice OR IN ANY OTHER WAY?

This question may be of importance to other types of businesses, but EVERY landlord should be concerned about this issue if they wish to set up online payments for their tenants.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.

PDtax :

Welcome to the site. I am looking at your question now.

PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience: Have used almost every software package available.
Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.
I am looking into the mechanics, but it's not readily evident how to refuse a payment, and I agree it could be a significant problem in eviction. Bankruptcy too.

I did see how to cancel a pending payment, but the window is short and not really usable for your purposes.

Still looking. Back to you in a few minutes...
Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.
Hi shelly,

It appears that payments must be started with a request from you for the payment to be processed. You may be able to protect yourself by stopping the issuance of the payment request, since Intuit will refund payments made to your account that you do not accept (without an invitation to pay).

I think you could terminate any open invitations to pay, and skirt the issue.

I might suggest that lease agreements require that late payments over sixty days be made by certified funds to a lockbox or other payment vehicle, to avoid issues like this.

I did not see any Intuit specific moves you could make to refuse a payment once you send a request for payment, short of terminating that request.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback closes out your question and gives me credit for assisting. I'm PDtax.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your answer; however, I am not entirely clear on a couple of items included in your response. Could you please clarify?

• You may be able to protect yourself by stopping the issuance of the payment request... I assume, by this, that you mean we should stop sending invoices to a tenant who is being evicted. Is that correct?. We, of course, would do that. But that is not the problem. The problem is the old, unpaid invoices which the tenant has received in the past.

• Intuit will refund payments made to your account that you do not accept (without an invitation to pay). Unfortunately, the tenant will already have received an invitation to pay (in the form of the invoice he failed to pay in the first place), so this is pretty well useless to us; however, in the outside chance that the tenant sends an unsolicited payment, could you please clarify exactly how to request that QB send a refund to the tenant?

• I did not see any Intuit specific moves you could make to refuse a payment once you send a request for payment, short of terminating that request. How do you terminate a request for payment?

Sorry to bother you with even more questions, but I want to be very clear as to what our options are. And, by the way, thanks for mentioning placing an addendum in the lease. I will do that.

Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.
I believe you can rescind an open invoice at any time. You can take that step under 'cancel a payment or request'. No open invoice, no late payment.

Taking this step eliminates the possibility of an open invoice remaining out there for late payment. No invoice, no late payment.

I hope that covers things. Thanks again from Just Answer.