Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.

QB2010 wont restore from QBB file

"This is an invalid format of a post QB2007 backup file." is the message that QB reports when I attempt to restore a backup to a clean installation of QB2010 on a new computer. Unfortunately, I need the backup because the drive that had EVERYTHING QuickBooks on it ground to a halt - unrecoverable. Re-installed QB2010 on a different machine (running W7), but when I try to restore my 2 most recent .qbb files, that message is what I get. Now what!? Help!

Is there a QBB repair tool (similar to QBFD.exe) that can repair QBB's instead of just QBW's?  Is there a way to find out more detail about WHAT it thinks is wrong?  It is a QB2010 backup, and I am attempting to restore it to QB2010 (albeit the new install is on Windows 7 and the old/crashed one was on Windows XP).  Is there anyway to "verify" a QBB file before this happens again??  Thanks!

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to help you today. I understand the frustration your going through and hopefully we can resolve it together.

Have you seen this support section of QB?

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/SLN42229 <click link

Please check it out and let me know if this will help you resolve your problem. If not I will try to research more for you until we can come up with a solution.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I had seen that, and already tried everything they had to offer. Renamed the file to something simple, it was already on the local hard drive, it is a fresh new install of QB2010 on a computer that it wasn't on prior (clean install), also tried it on QB2013. I have tried half a dozen different (older) backups, and they ALL report this same error when attempting to restore to the new QB2010 installation. There are some other techniques they suggest that involve the transaction log for QB, but I don't have that - it is on the drive that screeched to a halt. So I also don't have a Company File (.qbw) to look at for repair - I only have the .qbb's from the backups I did from the QB2010 on the failed drive. I never got any kind of error creating the .qbb's; no errors, no notifications - everything seemed to run just fine. And I still don't have any real explanation for what the error message means that I am getting when I try to restore the backup. It is a QB2010 Pro backup being used to restore into a QB2010 Pro installation - should be perfectly compatible.

I believe you said this came from a QB 2007 would you have the install program for that to try to recover it there?

Also I am wondering if you will have to setup the Company information first then try to bring the file in.

I would make a copy so you do not cause a problem with the original file.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No QB2007. All QB2010. Failed disk was running QB2010, new installation on fresh computer is QB2010. Message says something about "post QB2007", but as I mentioned, I still don't have a clear description of exactly what that error means. When I located the .qbb's on the local hard drive of the new machine, they were copies of the original .qbb's, which I still have.

So you are suggesting that I create a new QBW with just my company information in it, and then retry the restore?

Yes that is what I would try.
Just create the Company information only then try to restore the data.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Created company information only, did a backup of that, then tried to restore one of the old backups (pre-crash) but saving it to a new QBW name (so as not to overwrite the one just created). Same error message: "Restore failed. This is an invalid format of a post QB2007 backup file".

I am curious if you have found this?

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW12723 <click link
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Yes, it only works on QBW files, not on QBB files, unfortunately. Near as I can figure, they don't have a QBB Doctor, at least not that I have found yet.

I did also see a suggestion about renaming a QBB file to QBW and then running the File Doctor on it, but the File Doctor is apparently too clever for that, and refused to examine it.

I am going to let this question open back up and see if another expert might have the magical fix. I am sorry I was not able to get this going for you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I appreciate the effort and the broadened request. I guess what is really bugging me about this is that every time, EVERY TIME, I took a backup, I had QB verify it (as part of the backup process). Always successful. So this error has me really spooked about QB as a solution. If it makes the backup, verifies it and then can't reload it when needed, then that is pretty tough to understand. I'll wait for your next response, and please accept my appreciation for the persistent attention to this!

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 7 months ago.

I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I am happy to wait a while longer to see if there is a resolution path for this problem. Thanks!

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you.

when you attempt to restore the backup, where are you restoring it from? External disk or on the computers internal hard disk (C drive)?

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

As noted above, reinstalled QB2010 on a Windows 7 machine that had never had QB on it. Transferred the QBB from network share to local directory on W7 machine. Changed name to eliminate odd characters, made it less than 8 characters long. Attempted to restore the backup without first creating a company profile. No dice - got the "This is an invalid format of a post QB2007 backup file." error. By the way, the old installation (on the failed drive) was configured to ALWAYS verify the backup when it was done building it, and it always verified successfully. Then created a company profile in a new QBW and attempted the restore again, but saving to a new QBW filename. Same error as before. Tried older backups through the same routine, all got the same error. Installed QB2013 on a W8 laptop with Classic Shell. Tried to restore the QBB's - same error.

Sounds to me like somewhere some update to QB2010 broke the backup process, and the verify process was similarly broken. Very odd!

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, first you need to make a company file to restore to, this is always needed.

There is no way to repair the backup file, and it is corrupted, but do you have access to any of the data from the old computer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I did create a new company file, with just the company definition in it. Then tried to restore, got the exact same error message.

Original hard disk failed so thoroughly a computer won't recognize it as a drive. I have quotes for $1000-$2000 to attempt to pull some data off of it. Since the ONLY file that sounds like it would be worthwhile is the QBW file, that seems like a long shot. Hence, trying to figure out why the QBB's are not working properly.

So if what you are telling me is that there is no way to repair the backup file, then I guess I get to start from a clean slate again. Not at all what I was expecting from a product as mature as QuickBooks...

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Correct, if you cannot get the QBW, then you would need to start from scratch again.

But first, the hard drive that failed, I would like to confirm it has indeed completly failed.

Are you able to connect it to the computer now as a secondary drive?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Did move it to a different computer; BIOS couldn't even get a SMART response from it. Loud clunking/clicking - sounds of total mechanic death according to Seagate. Limited potential for file recovery, but they are willing to try for a few grand.

I guess that it would be my comment that if QuickBooks backups aren't all that reliable and that you actually need to be copying the QBW file as well to actually be able to recover from a crash, Intuit should be saying that LOUD AND CLEAR when you do backups. Just doesn't seem quite reasonable to find this out when I really don't have any options left but to re-enter a whole lot of data.

But... I do thank you for your advice. So, have you actually seen this error before? Any further feedback on what it means, or if you have attempted to recover such a backup before?

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
I agree with you, but Intuit communication is poor at best.

I have seen this problem a lot, which is why I never really solely on a backup or I restore it after making it to check, but I always use the QBW file.

Basically either the backup process went wrong, or more likely there were sector issues on the hard disk which meant the data was not written correctly. Considering the state of the hard drive, this seems most plausible.

I would still like to exhaust trying to recover the data from the disk by seeing if it is at least recognised in disk management within windows, but can understand if you do not wish to take this course of action.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I would think the backup went wrong - I tried a half dozen of them as far back as a year - all with the same message. So, to me that suggests that some update to QB messed up, and the result was a malformed backup that QB verified as successful. A sector error wouldn't touch so many files without compromising a lot of other stuff to have damaged all those files in just the same way to create that identical error message, I would think.

Agreed about the QBW's - new protocol for backups from now on.

Regarding the drive - the BIOS doesn't recognize it - so the OS has no option for seeing it at all. The clicking and clunking indicates a mechanical failure that at this point renders the drive as possible unrecoverable even in a clean room facility (according to Seagate's SRS). I would try it if it was cheaper given the odds of recovery; I would try it at $2000 if the odds of recovery sounded a little better than near-hopeless. But it just seems like an expensive long shot with what SRS had to say about it. :-/

I have to think that if you have seen this problem a lot, that it is a problem with the QB software at some level. Seems to me some customer ruckus about more reliable backups might be in order....

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
This is why I always use the QBW in addition to the backup, to be safe.

A clunking hard drive though is going to be bad news... I am not sure if you would want to risk the recovery. It may be cheaper to just hire a Temp and have them enter in the data again, but this of course depends on the amount of data.

I would also recommend you use something like www.dropbox.com

And store the backups and the QBW there, removes the possibility of the disk causing you headaches in the future.

If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Except for the "copying the QBW" file, it looks like I was already pretty in line with both your and jstinehelfer's advice and procedures (I was copying the QBB's into DropBox). Just wish I had known about that one about the QBW a little earlier!

Thanks!

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Your welcome

I would actually store the QBW in Dropbox, not copy it to it, this way you do not need to think about it

Let me know if you need anything else please

thanks!

Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience: IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.