Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

QuickBooks Premier Accountant, 2004 edition problem. Please

Customer Question

QuickBooks Premier Accountant, 2004 edition problem. Please do NOT answer this question unless you have a good working knowledge of Quick Books and know how to fix this problem.

I bought a new PC for my office. It's running Windows 7 professional. I need to transfer my QB files from the old PC which is running XP to the new one.

As far as I can see this shouldn't be much of a problem but it fails to work for me. This is what I'm doing... First I installed exactly the same version of QuickBooks onto the new PC even from the same CD. Then I open QB on the old computer and perform a backup.
This creates a .QBB file. Because the old computer has all sorts of problems like a faulty USB connection I emailed the file to myself and saved it to the desk top of the new PC.

I then open QB on the new PC. Top left I select File then Restore. I then get a Restore Company Backup dialogue box. Hit Browse and navigate the .QBB file that’s on the desk top. I hit OPEN and all boxes are automatically filled. I then click RESTORE at the bottom of the box and I get the error message THE DESTINATION LOCATION YOU SPECIFIED IS INVALID.

Please can you tell me what I’m doing wrong here ???
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

It sounds like your company file is not created.

Open QuickBooks.

Top right corner, click on "File" then "New Company" and follow the steps.

Make sure that you know where you have saved the file on the computer when you get to that step.

After the new company is set up, you can do a restore from the back up to the file that you just set up.

It should then restore.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

I'm hesitant about creating a new company. I think I have to go through an interview process and I may answer questions differently from those I gave years ago. This (I think) may well not be a good thing ?. I thought the backup file had all the information required to set up the company from scratch?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You need to first make a new company Tom, else there is no file to restore the data into.

Then you restore the data into this new company.

Then this new company file has all the data from the old company

This is how it works in Quickbooks.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Tom,

I just saw, you actually installed the exact same version, I saw you had a new computer and installed this, but missed that you reused the older verison.

In this case, copy from the old computer the QBW file, not the QBB file.

Then you can just open the QBW file within Quickbooks. You dont need to restore this file, or create a new company, youu just open it in Quickbooks.

But you need to get the QBW file from the old computer if you still have it.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay that's new... I'll give it a try... I was about to send this below...

I don't mean to pit you against another expert but I first tried this three weeks ago. I couldn't finish it as I had to go to the UK for two weeks. Before I went I did ask this same question of another expert. She describes herself as a “QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR, Management Consultant, QuickBooks ProAdvisor, MBA, PHR. I thought exactly the same as you in that theres no company to restore, I expressed my concerns about going through the interview again and here's her answer:

If you have installed QuickBooks on your new pc and moved the Company Backup files over, all of your company data should be in the backup. Save the file onto your desktop.

Open QuickBooks, under File, select open/restore and point QuickBooks to the new backup located on your Desktop. QuickBooks will restore the backup to a full company file. Once restored, your Company information and setup will be within. You will not need to go through the setup or interview. Your Chart of Accounts, Items, Sales, etc should have all been saved within the backup you created”.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I cannot comment on other Experts Tom.

I can only say feel free to do her instructions.

I stand by what I Say, which is common functionality for Quickbooks.

You first create the company file and then restore to it.

It makes sense if you think about it, as how you you restore a backup to a company that doesnt exist?

It is like restoring a backup to windows, when windows is not installed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I agree with you...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks Tom,

Can you now do the instructions for the QBW?

So we can complete this?