Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

Topic: transferring Quicken data to a new CPU backed up hard

Customer Question

Topic: transferring Quicken data to a new CPU
backed up hard drive from old computer to the new one using Icloud. It worked for all but Quicken and one other program. Quicken is essential. I have followed instructions from Quicken on how to do this transfer. In my new Quicken window in my new CPU under files these downloads are listed but they will not open. Need help
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the exact error message you receive please when you try to open your file?

And is this a windows or Mac computer?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In all the times I have tried to open these 4 downloads files from the new Quicken window. No message nothing happens

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, what are the complete names of these files?

And is this a Windows or Mac computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A number of !DATA5 (4times)

Then a buster:C.Users/Rupert/desktop/transfer files/justcloud/Restore 13 Aug2013 @11.53/c./users/Rupert/Documents//quicken/Q10files/QDATA5

I think I missed "Backup" in there

No Wonder nothing happens

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, copy the files to your desktop, directly on it as I think the path is too long

Then try to restore the files from the desktop.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This may take some time esp. if i mess up somewhere. Be Patient

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all!

It is in my interest, you take the time needed to do this correctly.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do need some help. The files do not copy from the Quicken page. Can you instruct me how to dp this. In the mean time my wife is asking for me to go to lunch. Do you have a reference # XXXXX I can join you after lunch. By that time you will have my instructions ready

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I will still be here after lunch, so just return here.

And when you do, let me log onto the computer and I can do this for you.

It is easier.

Go to Click Me

Click START MEETING

It will download a program to your computer

Run the program by double clicking it, and it will give you a set of 9 numbers

Give me the numbers at the top of the screen (eg: 456-789-123) in your message to me here please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Bye

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Have a nice lunch!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the numbers are586-185-925

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Logging on now. It will ask you to allow me, in the program
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Done!
Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience: IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aug 16 and ready do you need the 9 figure code?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, from the OLD computer please

We start first there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think you need a web connection? That will be hard to do Perhaps we could download to the external harddrive and then use it from the new computer?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
any method to get the file to the other computer will work.

And yes, I would need an internet connection to that computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let me do that and get back to you when/if it works

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unless you have a very good idea what to do next I would like to settle up with what I owe you and just not think about this matter for about a month

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No need to settle up.

And what I have done yesterday, is marked this question to never close, so you can return in a month, this is no problem.

Basically, all we need to do is

Make backup in Quicken (File, Backup) on the Old Computer

Then copy this to the new computer

Then in Quicken on the new computer, go to File, Backup, Restore and choose the backup file you copied from the old computer.

The data is transferred, but again, no problem at all doing this in a month.

Take care and all the best.

Richard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really am sorry this is just too awkward havilng to deal with someone as (politely) inexperienced as I am. I think I understnad that in order to get this working we need a continuous backup up file for the entire data base. I began using Quicken in 1996.

as far as I know it is all still there and there seems to be a lack of dates for the backup data' So I have to rely on the size of the backup to try to find how far back it goes. But these are just my assumptions Is any of this true?

Anyway I encountered many frustrations and seemingly dead ends this morning. Nothing worked even my external hard drive would not respond I thnk we should settle up. Who knows someone right around here might come to my rescue!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, but you have rated me, so we are settled.

But, I propose a break from this.

then get internet to the old computer so I can do this for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK let me try with the internet. Might get back next week. Now to lunch and a bit later a drink' So long and thank you again

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem with next week, ill be here.

enjoy the drink, you deserve it :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can get internet to the old computer and will be ready to continue whenever you are

Rupert

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am ready now Rupert

On old computer

Go to Click Me

Click START MEETING

Thank you