Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

My laptop ran out of battery power whilst posting journal entries

My laptop ran out of battery power whilst posting journal entries in Quickbooks. I plugged in the power cord everything now works OK except Quickbooks. The machine is returning a windows message Quickbooks has stopped working. How can I restart quickbooks
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me which version of windows and quickbooks you are running please?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows 7 service pack 1 64 bit

QuickBooks Pro 2011

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks David

Hold the Shift Key and with it held down, open Quickbooks.

Does it then open?

Please let me know

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No still returning the same message

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks David

Can you attempt it with CTRL instead of Shift.

Same error?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, click Start, Control Panel.

Click Programs, Uninstall a Program.

Look for Quickbooks in the list and click on it.

Then click Change, Repair.

Complete the repair, and when it has completed, restart the computer and try to open Quickbooks.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still the same

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you have corrupted it beyond repair David.

Go back to XXXXX

Click Programs, Uninstall a Program.

Click on Quickbooks, and uninstall it.

Once uninstalled, restart the computer, reinstall Quickbooks and it should then open.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the data.
I assume I shall have to restore the latest backup

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It wont be removed, just load the company file again after you have reinstalled it David.

It will only uninstall the program.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AH OK Thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem.

Standing by for the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still the same message from windows Quicksbooks has stopped working

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It did this straight away after installing it David?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you also damaged windows files and we will now need to do a System Restore.

Can you close all programs.

Click start, type in

system restore

And press enter. Follow the onscreen instructions to perform a system restore from the last restore point.

Once done. try to open Quickbooks and let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You will not believe this.
Could not face a system restore

I have just given the shift key / quickbooks option another go as a last resort.

Low and behold Quickbooks loaded.

Clearly something n windows was blocking Quickbooks loading.

But seems OK now .

I reckon windows got it knickers in twist when the power failed

and it fixed itself.

Ours not to reason why!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help

Over and out.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
there is no reasoning with windows!

Not sure why Shift did not work the first time, but glad it is noe working!

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience: IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.