Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

I competed my 2011 1040 tax return in early 2012 but did not

I competed my 2011 1040 tax return in early 2012 but did not file it due to a prolonged illness. I now need to file but cannot locate my 2011 Fedral Tax Return in my account. I printed a copy when I prepared it in 2012; however, now I can't find it on my "C" drive. I am due a refund; however, I found additional deductions that will increase my refund.  I paid onine to pepare the return and don't understand why I am being charge to get information about the status of the Tax Return.  I recently underwent a radical mastectomy for breast cancer and I am trying to recuperate but my tax situation is worrying me tremendously.  I really need the help of a professioal. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me please which version of windows you are using, and to confirm, which product did you use to fill in your Tac Return?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using Windows Vista, Home Premium 2007. I filled the tax using Turbo Tax 2011.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kathy

Can you do the following please

Click Start, Computer

Than Organise (Top), Folder and Search Options

Click View

Click Show Hidden Files, Folders and drives

Untick Hide Extensions for known file types

And uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files

Click ok.

Then click Start, type in

.tax

Press enter. The tax file will be a .tax file. When it shows, double click it and tell me please if you see your Tax Return from 2011.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tried to click to remove "Hide protected operating systems file ( recommended) check mark.. The following warning appeared" theses files are required to start and run Windows. Deleting or editing can make your computer inoperable."

Should I just purchase another a turbo Tax for 2011 and start all over? I already have a printed version and all I wanted to do was include additional expenses I located recently. This process is just too time consuming and is not helping me. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You allow it to unhide, it is only a warning, and you need to do this to find the file.

Else you can just install TurboTax and complete the return again.

But I would advise to try to look for the file Kathy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will I have to pay for turbo tax 2011 again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you bought it directly from Turbotax, then no, you just log into your account and can redownload it here

Click Me

Then install it and complete the return again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will download again. Thank you. I will respond " ok" to allow you to be paid but I do not want to continue with a monthly account charge. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem and thank you Kathy.

Download it and use it again, it is tied to your account so you will be able to do this.

If you need anything else please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am online Now and 2011 is not available online. I have to repurchase for $59.95. Oh we'll, I have no choice...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You logged into your account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is within 3 years, so they should keep this on file as downloads last for three years.

There may be a mistake with your account, and I would advise to call them on 888- 777- 3066 in order to get the software released for download without purchasing it again Kathy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again but I just paid for it again. I am recovering from cancer surgery that took place on July 1, 2013 and I just need to get this form filed. I paid over$33,000. In medical expenses in 2011 and I want my refund. No worries. I will work on my 2012 return and will seek a credit at that time. I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Kathy, and I can understand taking this descion to avoid the stress.

I wish you well in your recovery.

If you need anything else at all, please let me know.

Thank you
Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience: IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the 2011 in PDF format in my fTurbo tax file . How do I open it to make changes before filing?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If it is the PDF version, you cannot edit it Kathy, as it is read only.

You can only view it using this free program.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I can see the return; however I want to edit it to add additional deductions. I called the number you gave me ; however I got a recording stating PST. Should I wait until they open to see if I can access the return? Honestly, I promise I am not having a "PityParty" simply attempting to make changes to the return and file. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, but youo cannot edit it Kathy, it is only for read only (this is what a PDF is).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand the limitations of a PDF document. Since I prepared the return but did not file, I would like to transfer the information from the 2011 return into an active file that allows me to amend the "draft" document. It would save a considerable amount of time. The " amend" function cannot find the 2011 return because it was not filed. Will call the number you gave me when the office opens on the west coast. Thanks again.