Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

When I try to print a page from Quicken, I get a message "could

When I try to print a page from Quicken, I get a message "could not open printer. Check your printer selection". How to fix?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

What version of quicken are you using and what operating system.

Any version prior to 2010 may have problems printing under windows 7. Anything before 2008 will definately not print under windows 7.

If that is not the problem

go to

file / printer setup / reports and checks

make sure that you have the correct printer selected there.

Go to

edit / preferences / quicken

select NOTIFY

UNCHECK the box next to "Warn on duplicate checks"

If that does not work

close quicken

go to printers and faxes folder

highlight and delete by pushing the delete key on your keyboard the quicken pdf printer

then

from the windows start menu / search command

select search for all files

under advanced options

select search for hidden files and search in system folders

search for wpr.dat

rename any copies that you find to wpr.old ignore the warning that windows gives you.

reboot the computer

start quicken

again go to file / printer setup

select the proper printer.

Please let me know if that works there are a few other things that we can try but those are the easiest solutions that fix the most possible causes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have Quicken 2001 Basic and Windows Vista. When I click on edit, I do not have a "preferences/Quicken" selection.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

close quicken

In the printers and faxes folder
delete the quicken pdf printer by highlighting it and hitting delete on your keyboard

go to the windows start menu search box

search for wpr.dat

rename every instance that you find to wpr.old

reboot the computer

open quicken

go to file / printer setup see if you can select the printer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I so not have a quicken pdf printer shown in my control panel/hardware & sound file. Only my HP Deskjet printer
.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
it would be in the printers and faxes folder not the hardware and sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do I find the printers adn faxes folder?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

it should be right on the start menu if you are using vista

or in the control panel as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After clicking "start", should it be on the far left above "all programs"?
I can not find it there. There is a printer icon (not a folder symbol) on the control panel labeled "printers". When I open it, just my Deskjet printer is shown.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok the thing in the control panel named printers is the one

is the deskjet the one that you want to print to ?

the pdf printer may not have been part of a quicken that old

skip that step and do the rest

go to the windows start menu search box

search for wpr.dat

reboot the computer

open quicken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got a message "no items matched your search".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
RobMark offline
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

did you set the search to search in system folders ?

In the Advanced Search area, click to select the Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow) check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where do I specify "search in system folders"? On the START page or on the next page "search results in indexed locations"?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

It should be under advanced options when you first start the search

you DONT want to search in indexed locations because those locations are not indexed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can not find "advanced options". After selecting "advanced search", I can not find a place to select "search in system folders". I tried changing the title at the top of the page, but it wouldn't take the change.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

what does it say after advanced search ?

tell me all of the options and I will tell you which one to pick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No items match your search.

Choices under under indexed locations--computer,local hard drives,local discs,recovery,DVD RW drive.

Choices under Search Tools--search options,modify index locations,search pane.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
RobMark offline
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

If you go to control panel, and type in the search in the top right

Printer

Do you see Printers come up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, click Printers, do you see your printer listed there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, what do I do next?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, delete the quicken pdf printer by highlighting it and hitting delete on your keyboard.

go to the windows start menu search box
search for wpr.dat

Then restart the computer

Start Quicken

Go to file > printer setup tell me if you can select the printer

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is not a quicken pdf printer shown--only HP Deskjet 4300 series and HP Deskjet 4300 series(copy 1)

I tried the subsquent steps you listed without success last night when working withRobMark.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you remove HP Deskjet 4300 series(copy 1) please (right click remove)

Then restart the computer and try to print in Quciken.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed the (copy 1) printer. If I shutdown and restart my computer, will I loose my connection with you?

I opened Quicken and tried to print, but I got the same 2 pop-up messages: Printing to HP Deskjet series on Ne03: and Could not open printer. Check your printer selection.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You will still have a connection to me after restarting

Please restart the computer and Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can not print a Quicken file. I lost my internet connection with you yesterday before the problem was solved. Can we continue to work on the problem? I was working with RichieMe.

I am using Quicken 2001 Basic on a HP G60-23OUS Notebook PC with aa HP Deskjet D4360 printer. Are these systems compatable?

Optional Information:
Computer OS: Windows Vista
Browser: Chrome

Already Tried:

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
How long ago was it that you could print from Quicken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just recently loaded the Quicken program on my computer and never have been able to print from it.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, are you able to remove all the printers listed on the computer and reinstall them?

It is though a very old version, so I am worried it is a compatibility issue, but we will know after doing this.

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I delete my only listed printer, will I have to reinstall it by using the printer installation/startup disc?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct, like you did when you first installed it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed my printer and then reinstalled it. I then tried to print from Quicken but got the same "could not open printer" message.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is a compatibility issue, it was never designed to run on Windows 7

Where did you get this version from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the Quicken 2001 program from the previous Treasurer of my local ski club when I became Treasurer a few weeks ago.. It worked fine for him for 4-6 yrs on his computer and printer. I don't know what vintage computer and printer he has.

My computer uses Vista Home Premium. It runs the Quicken program just fine but will not print from Quicken. Is the compatibility issue because of the computer or the printer or both with the 2001 Quicken program? Is a newer version of Quicken needed?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is windows that is the issue,

Yes a new version of Quicken is needed, we can try 2004 as this is free

Download it for free here please

http://tinyurl.com/d2ymafv

Install this and tell me if you can print with this please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I can print!! Thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome!

Compatibility here was the issue for you.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience: IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.