Ask QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR Your Ow...
QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR
QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR, Management Consultant, QuickBooks ProAdvisor, MBA, PHR
Experience:  QuickBooks Pro, POS Point of Sale, Online & Enterprise Solutions
74417861

QuickBooks help needed please. I use QuickBooks Premier Accountant

Customer Question

QuickBooks help needed please. I use QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition 2004 for my small business. I just bought a new computer and I want to transfer my QuickBooks account from the old Pc to the new one. The old PC is running XP, the new one is running Windows 7.

So far I've installed exactly the same version of QB onto my new PC. I took a backup from the old pc and tried restoring the new pc with it but it will not work. No laughing here but I'm using floppy's for the backup. I get a screen where I elect where to find the backup. I enter drive A. QB's finds the file but says the destination file is invalid.

Where am I going wrong here?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR replied 3 years ago.

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

Hi, your QB file will likely need to be updated as QB on Windows 7 is slightly different from XP. First, I assume from your post that QB is opening properly, you just need to get the file to open?

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

Also, is there a USB flash drive available for your backup?

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

Ok, I see that Chat is not working, so I will switch this to normal Q & A and we may communicate that way

Customer :

Sorry for the delay are you still there...

May I suggest, if you do not have access to a USB, but you are certain the file was fully & correctly copied over to the floppy, please save the file to your new pc first and then try to open it from QB.

You can go to your A drive folder and drag the folder to your desktop. Once the file has been moved to your desktop you will likely be able to open and update the file.

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns as I strive for 100% satisfaction. If I have provided you with the answer you needed, please rate my service as Excellent so that I may continue providing assistance via JustAnswer. Thank you!!!

Please let me know if this works successfully, if not I will be glad to continue troubleshooting with you!

Anna
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I think I've seen what the problem is but I don't know how to fix it.

I actually ended up emailing the .QBB backup file from the old to the new computer. I've installed exactly the same QB's onto the new computer.

So I have a virgin QB's sitting on the new computer. There are no companies set up. I try going to 'file" then "restore" I select the restore .QBB file, and it tells me that "the destination location you specified is invalid"

So I need more than a normal restore. I need the whole company from the old computer.

I worry about going through the whole interview process and setting up the company again because if I make a different selection in the interview I could mess up even more.

Do you know how I can transfer the whole company.

Thank you...

If you have installed QuickBooks on your new pc and moved the Company Backup files over, all of your company data should be in the backup. Save the file onto your desktop.

Open QuickBooks, under File, select open/restore and point QuickBooks to the new backup located on your Desktop. QuickBooks will restore the backup to a full company file. Once restored, you Company information and setup will be within. You will not need to go through the setup or interview. Your Chart of Accounts, Items, Sales, etc should have all been saved within the backup you created.

Thanks and I hope I have answered all of your questions and relieved your concerns. Please let me know if following these steps work. I strive for total customer satisfaction. Please follow-up with rating my service so that I may continue providing this service via JustAnswer.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you on JustAnswer! I hope I have provided you with 100% customer satisfaction by answering your post.

Thank you for taking the time to rate my service as Excellent or Good so that I may continue to provide services via JustAnswer. If you have not already done so, please take the time to complete your survey now.

Please contact me in the future if at any time I can be of further assistance in providing service to you.

Thank you!
Anna M. Fox, PHR MBA
QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor
Fox HR Solutions

Please contact me in the future if at any time I can be of further assistance in providing service to you. http://www.justanswer.com/finance/expert-FoxBizSolutions/

Thank you!
Anna M. Fox, PHR MBA
QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor
Fox HR Solutions