Ask QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR Your Ow...

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR
QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR, Management Consultant, QuickBooks ProAdvisor, MBA, PHR
Experience:  QuickBooks Pro, POS Point of Sale, Online & Enterprise Solutions

I am downloading transactions from AMEX into QB 2011 for Mac

I am downloading transactions from AMEX into QB 2011 for Mac V12.0.15 R16 but something happened after the file was downloaded and the transactions did not appear in the American Express register. When I try to download again I get a message that the file is up to date and there are no transactions to download. I'm sure the transactions are in a file somewhere but can they be downloaded into my Amex register a second time?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA PHR replied 1 year ago.

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

This is a common problem within QB for Mac :(

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

Quite honestly, downloading bank transactions on QB for Mac can be more of a hassle repairing than it is worth in correcting. Have you successfully downloaded transactions from this account previously? Or is this your first time using this feature?

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

If you are available, I can attempt to guide you through looking for the file.

Customer:

I have successfully downloaded transactions several times. This time I'm downloading 4 months worth so I'm not looking forward to manually entering all these transactions. Is there a way for me to delete any files that QB is detecting and download again?

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

Another option you may try is going a different route for downloading the file. Meaning if you downloaded via QBs Banking Center, you may instead try doing the same download from the website and then importing. It should allow you to save the file with a slightly different name that will still allow you to successfully import and see the transactions.

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

We can look in a few places for your downloads, though my locations will be the Windows equivalent as I am not on a Mac. I have used them several times, but not on one.

Customer:

I can try that. How do I go about downloading from QBs Banking Center?

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

QB has a section called Online Banking or Banking. Based on your description, What I think happened during your download was possibly the wrong extension was selected. It may be prudent to first re-attempt your download double-checking your extension (file type) selected for the download.

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

1. elect the Banking menu and then select Financial Institutions.

2. Select your financial institution from the list and click Log In. If you don't see your financial institution in the list, contact your financial institution and ask them to support QuickBooks for Mac. Your browser window opens and displays your financial institution's website.

3. Log in to your financial institution's website.

4. Select the QuickBooks Web Connect option to download your account statement. Your financial institution may call the option "Download account activity," "Download account history," or something similar.
    Follow the onscreen instructions to download the file, which will have a .qbo file extension. Contact your financial institution for more information.

5. Select the File menu and then select Import> From Web Connect.

6. Select the .qbo file you want to import, and then click Open.

7. For each account shown in the Web Connect file, select the QuickBooks account you want to associate with it, and then click Continue.
    The account pop-up menu shows available QuickBooks banking accounts if the account you are importing transactions from is a checking, savings, or money market account, available QuickBooks credit card accounts if the account you are importing transactions from is a credit card account, or available QuickBooks Other Current Liability accounts if the account you are importing transactions from is a line of credit account.
    The account pop-up menu will not show a QuickBooks account that is already associated with a Web Connect file. If nothing appears in the account pop-up menu, create a bank, credit card, or Other Current Liability account first.

8. When QuickBooks finishes importing transactions, click OK. QuickBooks displays the transactions in the Downloaded Transactions window.

9. Click a transaction to open it in the register.

10. Click Record from within the register view.

11. (Optional) Click Align Windows to display the Downloaded Transactions window and its corresponding account register.

12. Proceed to updating your register.

To import transactions after the first time:

1. Select the Banking menu and then select Downloaded Transactions.

2. Select an account from the pop-up menu.

3. Click Download to log in to your financial institution's website and download a Web Connect file.

4. Click Import File to import the Web Connect file into QuickBooks.

If you want to link a different QuickBooks account to imported transactions, you must disassociate the currently associated account first.

Note: You must accept or delete any transactions still displayed in the Downloaded Transactions window before disassociating an account.

To disassociate an account:

1. Select the Lists menu and then select Chart of Accounts.

2. Select the account you wish to unlink from imported online transactions, and then select Edit from the Action pop-up menu.

3. Click Online Settings.

4. Click the Download Transactions drop-down arrow.

5. Select Not enabled, and then click Save.

6. In the Edit Account window, click OK.

You can then associate a different QuickBooks account with the imported transactions; this is useful if your financial institution changes names or ownership.

Important: Do not try to import the bank transactions by double-clicking on .qbo file. Doing so may cause you to receive the message "Quickbooks cannot open files in the web connect file format."

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

I have provided the QB Instructions for Downloading within QB for Mac. This may be more useful for you versus my providing my PC language

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

I hope this successfully resolves your concerns and you are able to rate my customer service as Excellent. Thank you for taking the time to rate me so that I may continue providing service via JustAnswer. I strive for 100% satisfaction so please contact me should you need additional assistance in the future.

Customer:

I'll give it a try when I get in the office in the morning. Crossing my fingers that will work. I'll let you know.

QuickBooks ProAdvisor MBA :

Great Thank you!

Customer:

Didn't work ;(

Customer:

Didn't work ;( I still get the message "nothing to import -- the QB file is up to date"

Customer:

Is there any way to trick QB into not thinking it has downloaded the files? I went into my download folder and deleted all the QB downloads.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

I have had the same issue... This is a longer fix, but its all that will work at this point as when QB downloads bank transactions, it also downloads a specific ID# XXXXX prevent duplicates and that same safeguard is what is causing you the problem now. I know it doesn't feel like it at the moment, but believe me, this is a better problem to have than what QB used to do when it would download duplicates... (That was a mess!)

Your download should be a .qbo file? If so, open it in a text editor (there's one installed called TextEdit or you can use Word) and have a look at it. You should be able to make out transactions - any file with a lot of transactions will go on for several pages.

If you don't see any transactions the problem is the download from the bank.

If you do see transactions, are they already entered in QuickBooks? Perhaps in a different bank account? Each transaction includes a TRANSID - a unique identifier that forever represents that transaction (if you download it from the bank again you'll see the same TRANSID).

Try this (at least for Quickbooks 2011 MAC):

1. Go to your chart of accounts, select the account you're having issues with and click on "Edit Account".

2. Now click "Online Settings", at the bottom select the dropdown "Downloaded transactions" and change it to "Not enabled".

3. Download the data via Quickbooks web connect from your bank using only the dates that you need, don't go back further or you'll have to manually match transactions.

You should now have a .QBO file, open this in text editor.

4. Scroll down till you see "<ACCTID> " and you should see your account number / CC number after that.

5. Now delete the last digit of your account number.

6. Now import your file and select the account you want it associated with.

The next time you import your data, you'll first have to go back through steps 1 & 2 above.

But this time DON'T delete one of the digits on the account number with text editor.

You'll have to again select the account the data belongs with and then you should be back on track.

Good luck!!!

Experience: QuickBooks Pro, POS Point of Sale, Online & Enterprise Solutions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I re-enable the account so I can download the transactions to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IT WORKED!!! YAY! Thank you so much! I will definitely give you 100%++positive rating. You just save me so much time! Thank you!

I am so glad this worked! I have pulled my hair out many a time with QB for Mac... So much so I almost refuse to work with it. But then again I am not a Mac person by nature so I am always having to translate my PC language brain to Mac language and by then my patience is burnt :z

Thank you for your positive rating and please let me know should I be able to assist you in the future.

Anna
Thank you for allowing me to assist you on JustAnswer! I hope I have provided you with 100% customer satisfaction by answering your post.

Thank you for taking the time to rate my service as Excellent or Good so that I may continue to provide services via JustAnswer. If you have not already done so, please take the time to complete your survey now.

Please contact me in the future if at any time I can be of further assistance in providing service to you.

Thank you!
Anna M. Fox, PHR MBA
QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor
Fox HR Solutions