Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I have quicken 2011 home and and business and I cannot get

I have quicken 2011 home and and business and I cannot get it to transfer the numbers for a P&L statement.

RobMark :

The problem there is how you categorized the entries. If they are not set as a business category or come from invoices and purchase orders than they wont show up in the P & L

RobMark :

The easiest thing is to run a cash flow report instead of the P & L which is basically the same report but it handles all categories

RobMark :

You might also try hitting the customize button on the P & L report and see if you can add categories to it. I haven't actually tried that and I am not sure it will allow you to do it but I would be interested in finding out

Customer:

ran a cash flow report and all that shows is the last expense item posted.

RobMark :

check the dates that you are running it on.

Customer:

it is correct. year to date.

RobMark :

try changing them to the actual dates. rather than year to date. If you have it set with a fiscal year other than calendar it will give you a problem on the year to date

RobMark :

You can also try doing a validate on the file in case there is an error with the index file.

RobMark :

file / file operations / validate

Customer:

I tried the customizing. adding all categories and still don't work.

Customer:

tried custom dates, did not work. did the validation, still not working.

RobMark :

which report are you trying to run exactly. There should be one under spending that says "income and expense by category"

Customer:

the state attorney generals office in NC wants a P&L statement for my company. that's what i'm trying to run.

RobMark :

try the income and expense it should have everything he wants

RobMark :

and as I said before quicken has issues with the P & L it only displays the transactions that it thinks are business related and unless you put things in there exactly the way it thinks you should they wont show up

RobMark :

I have run into this many times before because people with small business often just put in the payment or write the check and they don't bother with an invoice or a purchase order or matching a payment received to the invoice that you wrote it against

Customer:

OK. thanks for trying..glen

RobMark :

Have you tried that report that I asked you to try. It will have the exact same information that he wants. it just does not say P & L on top

RobMark :

You can ask the guy if he will take an income and expense report rather than a P & L I am sure that he will say as long as it has all of the business income and expenses broken out it will be just fine.

Customer:

I completed that report and it shows what I need.

RobMark :

ok than if you are happy I am happy and I hope you will give me a good rating. That is a "bug" in the quicken home and business that has been there for some time and I doubt they will fix.