Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I have quicken 2007 on 2 computers, one with Windows XP and

I have quicken 2007 on 2 computers, one with Windows XP and the others with Windows 7.
The XP fives me no problem but when I try to save the files in Windows 7 I get the message "Cant write to disk E" which is mu USB that I save everything else to.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
It should save it there. You may have an issue where it is trying to use the same file name that is already open. Try a different file name

actually quicken constantly updates its file and there is no need to do the save as command. that is to make another copy of the file so if you use the same name you can run into an issue where it is trying to delete the original file to write the same file while the first file is still open to make the copy from

just let quicken save itself and use the backup command or give it a new file name if you want to create a new copy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to save the files when I enter info on the Windows 7 laptop so I can update the files on the Windows XP desktop. I have never had a problems backing up files from the XP computer but have never been able to back up files for the Win 7 laptop. They both have the same Quicken 2007

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to save the files when I enter info on the Windows 7 laptop so I can update the files on the Windows XP desktop. I have never had a problems backing up files from the XP computer but have never been able to back up files for the Win 7 laptop. They both have the same Quicken 2007. The USB drives I tried to save to had no Quicken files on them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your answer is of no help to my problem and I have waited over 30 minutes for an answer to my reply. I will have to call Visa tomorrow as I see you have already charged my card. I don't mind pay for the solution to my problem but you answer is really a "non answer" as I have been saving Quicken files on the "XP" computer for many years...

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you using the backup function or the save a copy as.

If you are going to want to use the same file on different computers what i suggest is that you just keep it on the flash drive and go to
file / open
to open it on either computer

for backup you can back up on either computer

again QUICKEN SAVES THE FILE AUTOMATICALLY THERE IS NO NEED TO SAVE IT
If you open it from the flash drive and then move the flash drive after you finish with the quicken on one computer and then use file / open and open it from the flash drive it will have everything on it that you did on the other computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been working with Quicken since 1989 and upgraded several times. I know it backs uo automatically on the hard drive. Whai I seem to have trouble explaining is when I add data to the Win. 7 laptop and want to back it up to the flash drive so I update the desktop computer wit Win. XP. The Win. 7 laptop wil not let me back the files up. I get the message "Cannot write to drive E" even when I have clean flash drive in
the slot. All my other programs let me save to that flash drive. If I can't back the files up I can' put them on the desktop computer. I hope this will better explain my problem.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes I understand totally. what you are not understanding is that there is a MUCH easier way to do what you want to do which is have the data show up no matter which computer you are using.

Rather than backing up to the flash drive and then restoring it every time.

Put the main file ON the flash drive to start with. To do that go to file / save a copy as and browse to the flash drive and give it a name. Then every time you want to use the quicken on any computer put the flash drive in and go to file / open and browse to the flash drive to open that file. You only need to create it once and quicken will be saving to it constantly whenever the quicken is open and since it is on the flash drive when you open it on any computer by going to file / open ( and it may show up as the default after the first time so you don't need to do that ) It will automatically have all of your data put on by any computer and there will be no need to do the backup and restore commands other than to make a normal backup occasionally and you can create those backups on either hard drive so they are in a different place than the main file which is the goal with a backup.

It is backwards than the normal way of doing things BUT it works a lot better if you want to use the quicken on multiple computers.

You can then create back up files on either hard drive whenever you choose to do so for backup purposes.

It is much more efficient and it gives you two backup files rather than one and it saves all the time of backing up and restoring the file each time you switch computers.

But if you want to do it your way you might want to just check on whether the E drive is actually the flash drive on that computer. and if so whether it can be read by other programs etc. you might even backup to the hard drive and then just copy the backup file to the flash drive.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.