Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

Yesterday for no reason I am aware of, London Stock Prices

Customer Question

Yesterday for no reason I am aware of, London Stock Prices in my Microsoft Money ceased to update. This may have been caused by the Sony Vaio check as I sometimes loose my stored passwords in other programmes! Can you help?! Many thanks. Errol 

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

If you think that it was some sort of update for the computer the easiest way to fix it is by doing a system restore. If that does not work we can look at some other things

system restore instructions XP VISTA

start menu /all programs / accesories / system tools / system restore

select restore to an earlier date.

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

System restore instructions - windows 7

type system restore in the white search box on the windows start menu and select system restore from the results

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the list that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately that did not help! I restored to a point when Money was working and before the Vaio update. Do you have any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Errol Richards

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
what version of money is it and are any of the stocks downloading ?
do you get an error message ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using Microsoft Money 2005. There are no error messages. In fact it is most odd as it took me time to realise that prices were not downloading. In Portfolio Manager the usual message appears at the bottom of the screen “ Last Updated…….. and the current date and time. This changes as expected and it therefore took time to realise that rest of the information was “frozen”. There are no visible updates or resultant changes to the information, The whole Portfolio remains as it was several days ago! Hope this helps!

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

actually ms money was pretty much discontinued in 2011 and the last version they made was 2006. Is it possible they have not updated since 2012 and you never noticed ? I am actually not sure if that's the case as the support page just says "online services" would be discontinued at the end of 2011 it does not really spell out which services those would be. I suspect they just mean their support of the product rather than its actual functionality but... Discontinued means that anything can stop at any time and they are not going to bother fixing it. If say London stock market changed the way they report something Microsoft wont update the program to match it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008

If you've been managing your finances with the help of Microsoft Money, you should be aware that Microsoft discontinued all online services and assisted support for all versions of Money on January 31, 2011.

My suggestions would be to first try the 2006 sunset edition. ( if you have a password XXXXX your file remove it before you do the update )

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738

Another option for the long term would be to go to quicken which is a paid program which has been improving and is supported and has all sorts of investment utilities especially if you pay for the premiere edition which is designed specifically with extra investing features.

www.quicken.com

If you want to go that route I can help you transfer your data over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am surprised by your question: Is it possible they have not updated since 2012 and you never noticed ? If you mean my stock prices I use Money to update daily and as I said previously all was well until a few days ago. Microsoft does not recommend downloading the sunset update to non US versions of Money so I don’t think it would be a good idea to try that! As for Quicken I used it until it was withdrawn from the UK and much preferred it to Money. About a year ago I contacted Quicken to ask if I purchased the much praised US version from the US would it update London Stock market prices. The answer I am afraid was no! So that too is not an option. Unfortunately it now looks as though you will not be able to help me solve this problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
My main question remains. However I should add that I have updated a few prices manually and although this works the new "information" does not 'follow through' to other areas of the programme. It seems that the problem is with the programme and some new corruption of the files. I am NOT a computer expert and have no idea how to fix this! I am not sure the person I have been dealing with is the right person to help me.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I did not notice that you were in the UK

If you have the original cds for the 2005 version I would try re installing that because it does sound like it might be some sort of program error due to a corrupted program file