Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

I am trying to backup my Quicken 2013 file. Im trying to back

Customer Question

I am trying to backup my Quicken 2013 file. I'm trying to back up to a properly formatted and working hard drive. I get the error message "Unable to open source file".

I've tried changing the backup directory, backing up to another hard drive, and shortening the backup file name, all unsuccessfully.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
The source file is the file that you are backing up FROM. It is not the drive you are backing up TO.

what method are you using to back it up ? If you are using the backup program that came with the drive rather than the quicken backup you may be running into an issue where it cant back up the file because the quicken program is running and that has the file locked up.

Try it with the quicken program closed. OR use quickens own backup program and let your backup program take a copy of the quicken backup file rather than the data file you are using with quicken.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I should have made it clear: I am *in* Quicken, using Quicken's Backup command.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
check the box to add the date and time to the file name that will eliminate the problem you might have when you try to overwrite an older backup file

use the browse to make sure that you are getting to the correct drive to back it up to and the correct folder on the drive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Date and time added to the file name didn't work. Neither did trying different drives and different filenames. 20 minutes with Quicken Support also hasn't helped.

Later tonight I'm going to try 2 things: 1) going offline and turning off anti-malware programs (maybe they're locking the file) and 2) reinstalling Quicken.

Thanks for your effort, but we're done.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
Try this first.

1. In the quicken go to file / file operations / validate

2. in the quicken go to file / save a copy as
give the new file a new name and save it in my documents

3. In the quicken go to file / open
browse to my documents and open this new file

4. Try to do the backup with this new file which should be exactly the same as the old one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That didn't work either. Reinstalling Quicken didn't work.

But: under "File Operations," "Copy" successfully created a file that when reloaded seems to have all the information. I don't understand what's happening, but I don't have to. As long as that keeps working, I'm fine.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. I have always thought the create a copy is actually a better backup than their normal backup because it creates a copy that is exactly the same as their normal data file rather than a "backup" copy that has to be restored.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
I was just following up on our work. Thank you very much for the rating. If you have further issues with this same problem you can post in the original problem and i will give you more help for free. If you would like to go to this page and add it to your favorates you can then use it to send me a question directly