Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

Hi Joe,I installed QB 2013 POS and Financial in april. It

Hi Joe,
I installed QB 2013 POS and Financial in april. It was horrible getting them to network. I was on the phone with India for a total of 11 hours (over several days of course). Now, all of a sudden, POS cannot connect to Financial. I am VERY AFRAID to re-install QB Financial because of the horrible networking issue. Help! The problem is an error message called "qbxml". Kay
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you give me the complete error it is giving you please Kay?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I am in POS and click the end of day, it usually indicates it is trying to connect to QB Financial. It connects and then sends the information over. We do this everyday at the close of the day. On Thursday, I did the end of day and up popped a message that said "qbxml comonents have not been installed". Is there a new download that got missed?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The install files have been damaged.

To fix this.

Close QuickBooks.

Right-click the Windows Start button and choose Open Windows Explorer.

In the left window, navigate to the following location:

For Windows 7 and Vista: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\

For Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\

Look for files ending in .tlg

Right-click each .tlg file and rename it to filename.old

Then try again and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that already. I said that in my first post. It didn't work. Kay

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you close all programs.

Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program.

Click on Quickbooks, then click Change, then repair.

Run the repair and let it complete.

Then restart and tell me please if it still fails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got a error message (error 1321) that said the installer has insufficient priviledges to modity c:\programfiles\commonfiles\intuit\quickbooks\colocator2.dll.

Sigh.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Click Start, Computer.

In the New Window, click on C Drive.

Right-click the Program Files folder and choose Properties.

In the Properties window, select the Security tab and then click Advanced

In the Advanced Security Settings window, select the Owner tab and click Edit

In the Change Owner To area, select the Administrators group and then select the option Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects. Click OK.

Note:
If a security warning or window appears, click Yes to continue.

Click OK to close the Advanced Security Settings window and click OK to close the Properties window.

In the Advanced Security Settings window, select the Permissions tab (1) and click Edit (2).

Verify that the Permission column for System and Administrators is set to Full Control. If permissions are not set to Full Control, do the following:

Deselect Include Inheritable Permissions From This Object's Parent and click Apply.

Note:
It's likely that you encounter a few windows to confirm that action. Copy the permissions and accept any security warnings.

Click Edit.

Select Full Control and click OK.

Select Replace All Existing Inheritable Permissions On All Descendents With Inheritable Permissions From This Object (1) and then click OK

Click OK to close the Advanced Security Settings window and OK again to close the Properties window.

Then try to repair and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got a major error message that would not let me continue. I had to cancel and it took me totally out of the change permission session. It was a very long convoluted error code. Should I do it again and copy the code?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please Kay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It looks only partial. The error occured at:

...\{009474fd-be04-11e2-a0fs-00235420706d}{3808876b-c1...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

ok, than do the following please

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

Than try to repair and Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I restart the computer, how can I find you again? Is there a log in and/or a password XXXXX our conversation thread? Kay

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You will have emails from me Kay

In them is a link to return here. You can then post a message.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did everything you suggested and we just tried to send the information over. No go. We get the same message about qbxml not installed. I hope we can continue this tomorrow - I have to go now. Let me know one way or the other if we can continue to try. Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We can continue tomorrow Kay, no problem.

But we are going to need to reinstall QB, it is the next step we need to take.

Can you do this tomorrow and let me know the results please.

I will be here.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, are you there? I'm ready whenever you are. Kay

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am Kay,

We left off at the point where we need to do the re installation of QB.

First, can you make a recent backup?

And do you have the Installation disk with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm backing up right now (I have several businesses, so it will take a few minutes). One concern I have with re-installing is the network issue I have with POS. It's on a different computer in a different building. Is there a chance that re-installing the Financials will mess up this networked connection? I had a terrible time getting them to talk to each other and I really don't want to go there.

Yes, I have the installation disk.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You already have that issue, so we need to do this to resolve it and rule out that QB is not the problem.

It may be a network issue on your network, but we will only know this following the reinstall Kay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In backing up the file, it said I needed to rebuilt some files. Maybe that is the problem. I'm rebuilding the files now and will let you know when it's done. K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If it is giving this message, it does indicate corruption in the data file which can cause this.

test if it connects after the repairing please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long should it take to rebuild the files? It has been stuck on 30% for about 10 minutes. K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It depends on their size, but it can take up to an hour or two depending on the amount of corruption Kay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wonderful. I'll go do something else and check back occasionally. I'll keep you informed. K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kay,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, it rebuilt itself and I tried connecting POS with financial and I still got the QBXML needs to be installed message. Should we go ahead with the reinstalling? K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please Kay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I'm a computer idiot. Do I uninstall first? Or just put the disk I and follow the directions? K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its no problem!

Uninstall first please Kay from Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a program

Then restart, put the disk in and do the installation.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I uninstalled and then installed. It still doesn't connect. Same message. K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then it is not seeing the other computer at all.

Do you have physical access to the other computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What version of windows is running on it Kay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The computer with the Financials has Vista (ya, I know) and the other computer has Windows 7. K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the computer your trying to connect to, it has internet correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. the computer with the financials is the main computer with dsl access. The internet is still working with the other one that has the POS. K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you disable the windows firewall on them please.

Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.

Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.

Click Off (not recommended), and then click OK.

Then restart and once done on both computers try to connect and let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have AVG, not windows firewall. I shut off both firewalls and restarted. No go. What now? K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I want you to do a reinstallation of QB in this manner please to make sure it is properly being uninstalled.

Download and install the Software Revo Uninstaller from here

www.revouninstaller.com

You can use the Trial version. Then run it and use this to uninstall Quickbooks.

Once done, restart the computer, and then install Quickbooks.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, it's Rudy, son of Kay. She has some work to be done on our farm, so I'm taking over for the time being.. Ok, there are two different types of Quickbooks to uninstall here, which one? Or both?

Thanks!

EDIT

I was being a moron here. My huge mistake! It was the 2010 version I saw and though it was the 2013. I now know just to ignore the 2010 version. I've just completed the uninstall process (v.2013) , and now it's doing the moderate scan for leftovers! Sorry!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem Rudy, and thanks!

Concerned there are two versions on the computer though... I would prefer to have both removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, the leftovers scan found these (in pic) so I'm going to select all and delete them, too.

Also, kay walked in and told me that when she first had the problem, the advice she had gotten was to rename the (.TLG) files as (.xxx) files. She did that, and when the problem continued, she called you.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we went through and did that before :)

Remove all traces please, restart the computer and then install it Rudy.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, working on removing those traces! (of the 2013 version) Hey, you mentioned that having two versions of QB on the same PC concerned you? Do you want me to use Revo Uninstaller Pro and get rid of QB2010 while I'm using it?

Thanks!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes please,

Only ever have one copy of QB.

Make sure your not touching Kays backup files to Rudy, this is very important.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(panics) Kays backups?! where?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
She made them before we uninstalled.

Check with her where she put them as you need to restore them when reinstalling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey she says they are on a snapdrive which was connected to the computer the whole time. I'm going to check the snapdrive to see whether Revo found and killed them.

While I'm doing that, let's just assume the worst here. Let's say Revo wiped it all. What do we do now?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Revo will not have touched them, they are ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alright, whew. So I'm now going through the uninstall/moderate search for traces process again, only now I'm doing it with QB 2010. When I'm done, I will search for "Quickbooks" in Revo, and if nothing comes up, I'll continue with your instructions.

I am going to put the Quickbooks disk into the computer, and go through the regular installation process then?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct Rudy, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's going through the regular installation process now, it hasn't asked me to type in any activation keys or anything like that.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX restore the backup and test if we are still getting the error.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey, sorry to be slow, but how do you restore the backup?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem!

But.. I do not know how Kay backed up and where the files are.

This is a serious operation, and we cannot afford any mistakes. Can you have her return to do the restore of the backups please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So how do you actually go through the process?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rich,

It's Kay again. The short cut was deleted and I can't find the file to open up Quickbooks. It's right after we installed it. How do I find the file and how do I set up the icon shortcut on my desktop. Please let me know when you are available to talk. I'll check back in the morning. Kay

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you click Start, Program and look for it there Kay?

Is it listed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's rudy. I'm an early riser.

start > search > quickbooks, there is a program listed as Quickbooks_Standard_21. When I click on that, I get this error message.

-------

The item 'QBW32.EXE' that this shortcut refers to has been deleted. However, it may be restored from the recycle bin.

Do you want to restore the file, or delete this shortcut?

-------

When I put quickbooks in the search bar, I find that in program files (x86), there is a folder labeled Intuit, and it has QB2007, QB2013, QB File Doctor, QB Point of Sale 11.0, and QB Product Listing Service.

None of these have an actual program file in them. After I used Revo to delete the traces of QB2010 and QB2013, I took the CD, inserted it into the disc drive, agreed to the liscence agreement. I chose express installation. It went through the loading screen for a while. Then it gave us the option to open a help guide to starting out, but we closed it. It appears we cannot find it now.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Morning Rudy!!

Can you put the disk in please Rudy and re-run the installation.

something may have gone wrong durinng the install.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Setup has detected that another instance of this installation is already running. Only one instance of this installation can be running at a time.

-----

This computer is a vista, and the above error message opened in two windows at the same time...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, restart the computer and try to install.

I think you paused it halfway through,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says congrats you have installed quickbooks you're now ready to be amazing blah blah

It gives me the option to open quickbooks or help me get started. The option to open quickbook is un-checkable. I can't select it. Quickbooks is only giving me the option to do the help me get started!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, run the help me get started

What then happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it opens up a tab in firefox. it says

The following will help you get started with...

*Creating a new company file (new users)

*Updating an existing company file (existing users)

*Setting up Quickbooks for multi-user access

*Quickbooks manuals and guides

Its like an internet page, and all of the listed things are links you can select.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is concerning it will not install.

Can you go to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts.

Create a new user account.

Restart the computer and log in with this new account.

Then try to install and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It gave me the same thing it did before. I'm on the new account now.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then we need to reinstall Windows.

If we cannot install QB, then there is serious corruption, and this would have been the cause of the initial problem.

Do you need to back up any data off the computer first?

And which brand is this computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's an HP Pavillion. I know we do have quite a bit of stuff to get off of it...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you will need to copy all files off the computer you wish to keep.

Then follow the instructions here to do the restore.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01867418M

The restore will reinstall Windows on the computer. Once done, install QB and set it up again.

Let me know the results please

thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we have carbonite on our computer, can we use that?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can for backing up your files, that is a good solution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is really scary. There are 2 or 3 recovery options:

System recovery

Factor reset

Minimized Image

Which one do I want?

Also, have you ever recovered files from carbonite? I haven't. K

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The link you supplied is for Windows 7. This computer has Vista. How should I proceed? K

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience: IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richie,

I just couldn't re install Vista with trying Intuit first. Re-installing Vista would have been an absolutely last gasp. It took 4 hours with a guy from India, but we got QB Financials re installed and all files found and working. My original problem is still there, but now it looks like a POS problem. I ended up buying the 90 day support and will call them tomorrow to try to get it to work. Thanks for all of your help. Kay