Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

A question for 2011 QuickBooks file, pls?I tried to restore

A question for 2011 QuickBooks file, pls?

I tried to restore a backup QBs by using 2011 version (because the back up file is in 2011 version), but always got the result "date cannot restore". I can only restore from 2012 version. But the thing is if I modify the 2012 version file and send back to the person who originally create it, he can't open 2012 version.

The detailed procedure is as follows:

I opened QB 2011software and Clicked the icon file; clicked open and restore company, clicked restore a back up copy; clicked next; clicked lock back up, clicked next. The system showed: Look in and drop down. I clicked my file name under the drop down. The system showed where you want to restore your file; I clicked next. The system showed: save in and drop down; I save the backup file in the administer’s file folder. The system showed problem: solution, restore or update. When I clicked update, the system showed: date cannot restore.
I would appreciate if you can help me solve this problem.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

What version of QB is the person your sending the backup to, using?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the problem Lucia.

They need to have 2012 or above. You cannot open a QB file that was created in a later version, as it does not know how to read this.

They need to upgrade to at least 2012 in order to be able to use the file.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess maybe because of problem on my side. I have 2011 QBs, but I can't open his 2011's which is interesting.

Exactly which version is his?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His is 2011. I have version of 2011, 2012 and 2013. I used my 2011 version to restore his file, but can't.

Can your 2013 restore it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My 2012 version can restore it. But the problem is my client can't open it after I modify on 2012 version.

yes, as they have 2011

As I explained, they cannot open versions saved in later versions

So 2011 cannot open 2012 files.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I think you don't understand my question. Would you transfer this question to other experts pls?

don't send a backup file

send a portable file. Those are designed to be opened on various different versions

complete instructions for creating and restoring a portable file are available on this page

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! I may only confirm it after July and may follow up with you again.

that's fine. you can test it by creating one in the 2012 and seeing if you can open it in your 2011

the problem you may have run into is your 2011 is updated to a lower release than your friends. You should both be on release 12 which you can get on this page

but the portable file should work across platforms so that you don't have to be so exact if you use it instead of the backup

If you are happy with my answer I would appreciate if you give me a good rating at some point. I will be happy to continue with you if you have further problems even after you rate me,

And you can always get a question directly to me by putting "for Robert" in the front of the question.

thank you.