Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.
32989067

Using an old version of Quick books pro

Customer Question

Using an old version of Quick books pro. Can't get Brother MFC 8710 DW to print a single check from MP tray. HELP.

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the error message you receive?

And which version of Quickbooks pro is it please?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No error message. The single check goes thru the printer and out the back, but nothing prints on it. Instead, a single sheet of plain paper follows coming form the paper tray below and the check info prints on that instead of the check that I fed thru the MP tray. I have tried all different settings in the QP printer set up and just can't seem to figure out which is the right one.

Using Quick Books Pro 2007.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did checks print before?

Have you tried printing checks from different accounts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, when I first got the machine two months ago, but somehow settings have been changed and I can't seem to figure them out again.

Only have one account.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Which version of windows are you running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows XP..all updates are current

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,

I want to do a system restore,

There are no setting that would cause this (as you would be getting an error) so want to remove any corruption that can have occurred.

This does not affect your personal data.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

Choose the last restore point when the checks where printing.

Try to print and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok..I am back...did all you said...

QB settings are for single check from MP tray. Printer picks up check and runs it through but does not print on it. Error msg: "no paper" Load letter paper in MP tray."

I suspect this has something to do with the printer set up settings in Quick books and I just don't know what I should be setting. I have tried to put "envelope" instead of plain paper, but that didn't work either. Would this be easier by phone? XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is against policy to phone sorry.

But it is not paper size.

Go to File > Printer Setup > Checks/Paychecks

Have you tried with the different check types?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

paper size choices are: A4, letter, legal, executive, A5, A6, B5, [long list].

media Type choices are: envelope, plain paper, thick paper, thin paper, recycled paper, label [and others].

paper Source choices are: auto select, Tray1, MP tray, and manual.

???

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You should have 3 check templates there.

Do you see this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that I have covered. I use the Standard, single sheet, portrait layout.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it is set correct...

Are you able to reinstall Quickbooks? Do you have the disk available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but I truly can't see that this would be necessary since we had it working before and I think it's just about getting the setting's right. If you are not familiar with the proper settings in QB, I think i will sign off for now. ??

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
There are no special settings for this.

It actually works on a number of settings.

Can you do this step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, not comfortable having to reinstall software to fix this problem. Thank you. Good bye.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure why you rate my service as Bad, when you do not want to do the instructions?

How is it suppose to be fixed??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I set the new machine up two months ago, someone at this site was able to assist me in setting the QB settings such that checks were printing. Re-installing software was not needed. Person has strong knowledge of both the MFC machine and the Quick Books program. Thank you.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

There are no speecial settings needed. Its as simple as that Ill live with the bad rating, as you are not explaining why, just that you dont want to do what is needed to fix it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You know what..if you spent more time working on the problem at hand instead of being stubborn, unprofessional and defensive, you would be better at what you do.

In the time you have spent defending yourself, I have contacted someone else on line, researched the problem, discovered that renaming the Qbprint.qbp file was all that was needed. Re booted and the problem is fixed! hmmm.! Doesn't that say something to you? Good bye and best wishes.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Not defending myself, telling you what you needed to do.

There is no need to reply unless you are going to do this.