Marco, IT Consultant
Experience:  10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.

I have an old Sony VIO computer with quicken 2000 installed

Customer Question

I have an old Sony VIO computer with quicken 2000 installed on it. Something got corrupted and I needed to recover the Sony system, which erased data on the hard drive. I've got years of data backed up on a removable zip drive which need to open in quicken. The version of quicken I have on disc (2002) will not open the data. One message says to upgrade to quicken 2001 and asks for an unlock code and gives a phone number to do this (as this old computer is not connected to the internet). When I dial the number I get a fax tone.

How can I get this unlock code and retrieve this data?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Erik B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer again. My name is Erik and I will be happy to assist you with this question. Sorry for the delay!

You will want to download a copy of Quicken 2000 using another computer, then burn that installation file to a CD or USB flash drive. Then you will insert the CD or flash drive into the old VAIO computer and use it to install Quicken 2000.

To download Quicken 2000, click HERE. Once on that page, click the Quicken for Microsoft Windows link. The page will expand and you will see a link for Quicken 2000 for Windows. Click on that link and the download will begin.

Simply choose to save the download, then insert a writable CD or flash drive into that computer. Copy the download file to the CD or flash drive and then use it to install Quicken 2000 on the VAIO by double clicking the installation file.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric -

I have done what you suggested. When copying into the Sony got the following error: component error returned the following data transfer error. Setup will not abort. (57% of the way to completion).

Now what?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I finally managed to get Quicken 2000 trial version on the old Sony. I then went to my D: drive where backup copies are stored. None of them will open - something about data being lost. Since these backups were done with Quickens software in the past and have not been altered by me, why will nothing open?
Expert:  Marco replied 3 years ago.
What is the name and file extension of the quicken file you are trying to open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The large files (data) have no extensions. There are 4 files shown for each backup (all with the same date). The only one that has an extension is the one that ends .IDX (but these are small files, only 1.82M

Expert:  Marco replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to import the backup data files rather than just open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Import to what - - Excel?

Expert:  Marco replied 3 years ago.
No you cannot import to excel. That version of Quicken doesn't have that function.

Lets try this. Download version 2004 (it's free) and see if you can open the backup files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I copied this Quicken 2004 from the address given. It will not install - says it is not a valid file.

I'm done. I can not spend more time on this.

Expert:  Marco replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Which version of windows are you using?

Was the file that you downloaded called QW04DLX.exe?