Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.

I cannot figure out how to pay out vacation pay to an employee

I cannot figure out how to pay out vacation pay to an employee who has no payroll hours for the the period. When I enter all the info, QB only gives me 2 weeks of vacation pay, when I back date the pay period to when he started, the vacation pay amount shows up correct but it also adds in all his hours since he started and the pay cheque is massive??
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

You should be able to specify this manually.

Can you do the following please.

When creating the check, open the Preview Paycheck window.

Under Earnings, click on drop-down arrow in the Item Name column.

Choose the sick or vacation item you created.

Enter an hourly rate in the Rate column for hourly employees and the number of hours in the Hours column.

For salaried employees, enter the number of hours worked next to the regular salary earnings item in the Hours column and the number of hours paid for sick/vacation time next to the sick/vacation salary earning item in the Hours column. QuickBooks will divide the salary rate accordingly once the correct number of hours are entered.
Continue to create paychecks as normal.

This should not add anything extra

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done this already. It will only give me the vacation pay for that period even when I enter the rate and hours in the window that he has worked since he started.
ok, then set it to that employee specifically Kat

From the Employees menu, select Employee Centre.

Select the Employees tab.

Double-click the employee.

From the Change tabs drop-down, select Payroll and Compensation Info.

Click the Vacation Pay button.

In the Pay ($) available as of field, enter the amount of vacation pay that is currently available for the employee.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I have figured out what happened. When he was hired, in Oct. and setup in payroll, his vacation/accrual pay was not set up properly. As a result QB now will not calculate his Vac accrual going back to his hire date. When I figured this out, 2 months ago,I corrected all the info in QB to accrue vac. pay, but now QB will only calculate his Vac. accrual from the day I corrected the info, not his hire date. Painful!!!! Now I am unsure if I can correct this?
Can you add more to the accrual to make the difference missing Kat?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That worked!!
Thank you so much. I cant ell you how much time I have spent trying to figure this out!!
Your welcome Kat!

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you