Richard, Financial Specialist
Experience:  IT professional, resolving issues with financial programs.

when I enter a customer receipt on sage I cannot save it as

Customer Question

when I enter a customer receipt on sage I cannot save it as the save button does not respond. I think this is something to do with me switching the "the date is outside the current financial year" message off. Now I can't switch the message back on
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

It will not, usually you cannot save as you are missing required information on the receipt.

Is it just this one receipt that has the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot save any customer receipt. I am not missing any infomation. I have been working on sage full time for over 30 years as a Bookkeeper and have never experienced this problem before.

When I have googled the problem, I am not the first person to have this problem. One suggestion was to create a new user. Log off and log in again as new user. This didn't work.

Just spent 3 hours posting a whole years sales invoices, now I can't post the receipts against them. Very fruastrating!!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Julia

Can you please do a compact and repair of the Sage Database.

Close Sage

Then from the Windows start menu, chose Programs, Sage Tools and then Repair and Compact Database Utility. The Repair and Compact utility appears, you will see your companies details displayed.

From the company list, select your company and then to Repair and Compact the database, click repair.

Complete this, open Sage and tell me if you can now save please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry but I'm obviously being very stupid but where do I find the start menu in windows?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
IT is no problem!

The start menu is the windows logo button in the bottom left.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the first time I have worked on a laptop with windows 8. Have to say I hate it!! I think I found the start menu - it comes up with lots of coloured boxes. For example, one is Mail, one is People, one is messaging and one is desktop plus several others. Is this where I should be? I think you have to imagine I am a six year old!! Sorry

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Where do you go to open Sage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Click on sage icon on desktop.

I have managed to find programs but it then gives me 3 options

1) Programs & features

2) Default Programs

3) Java (32-bit)

Should I click on one of the above or open Sage, which I thought you told me to close?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this is the wrong area.

Go to the main page (the new start page)

And just star typing and type in Sage Tools

Do you then see it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've now had to pour myself a stiff drink as I think I have lost the will to live!

I have tried typing sage tools in a few different places and all it does is open sage. Is this correct? If it is, why not just ask me to go into Sage??

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You do not have the tools installed Julia.

It will then be better to do a reinstallation of Sage.

Do you have your Data backed up and the Sage Disk with you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I don't have the disk. How can I work on sage if I do not have sage tools?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Because Sage the program is different to the Tools.

You choose to install this at the time of installation.

but we are going to need the disk, are you able to get this please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not now as this is a clients laptop. Even if I do what you say to fix the problem, there's no guarantee that it's going to work, right????

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is a process of elimination Julia,

this is the first step we need to take as this is the most common cause.

Do the reinsntall please and if the problem continue, we can then work further.