Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

FOR ROBERT ONLY! Can we fix my modem so that I have my own

Customer Question

FOR ROBERT ONLY! Can we fix my modem so that I have my own password XXXXX a Telewell and not the given one..
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

RobMark :

hey there i am here

RobMark :

still here :)

Customer :

Great to here from u Rob. I will stick to the issue as I was concronted by administration who I guess received was listening into our conv. by a mod... I confronted everything but I never really goy onanswers. So I wont know why they listened into us. They said mentioning the admins name flagged me. I dont believe that... Im sorry... They always let me use T V but now I cant ask for it as the admin was reprehanded for letting me use it... I dont believe that either... As admin has acknowledged that they have there own service rem ote process. But they gave some ridiculous reason wht Rob Mark doesnt have it after 2 years.... Sounded like another excuse again..

RobMark :

i would love to hear the reason they gave why i dont have it,. They have been giving me ridiculous reasons for 2 years and have promised i can have it in may.

Customer :

But thats them, and thats what I can put on F B and talk with the producers of Leo (Twit) about.They do what they want andIll do what I want with my JA transcripts. One expert told me I cant editthem as they are time stamped but now JA tells me I can.Maybe an independent party like the producers at TWIT can tell me. I am so non confrontational but I hate being lied to

Customer :

Oh let me look. One sec

Customer :

Its not an issue she says

Customer :

Its up to your peer reveiewers

Customer :

10 at a time

Customer :

And I onbly quote so I cant be in any violation since that is what they told me

RobMark :

well thats a new one on me. But nevermind lets get to your issue with the router

Customer :

Yes but someone like u would make my life easier if u can rem ote in. so our time is wasted but u cant comment

Customer :

I respect u and your job

Customer :

:)

Customer :

And by skype I apolo0gizae I only have in text but maybe if my computer, like my phone record all calls would give you a better insight

RobMark :

can you get back in there on your own. i thank you for that. it is frustrating for both of us but lets see if we can get it working with the communication we have

RobMark :

i mean can u get into the router ?

Customer :

But lets set up a password if u dont mind its 3am here

RobMark :

yes please lets do that

Customer :

Again I AM USE TO A 27 CHARACTER passcode

RobMark :

i see nothing in the manual about anything special that has to be done. so i am thinking that its either you were in the wrong place where it was displayed but not modifiable or there was some save button that you just didnt see to hit

Customer :

yOU TOLDME B4 THAT i no one would know what modem I use and that it creates a new one each time.

Customer :

Telewell is common, and its been the same password for the last week

Customer :

so can we create a really long one

Customer :

Thats all I want from thisquest

RobMark :

no the actual passkey would be the same but some routers are set up so they dont send that passkey they just open themselves up and whatever hooks in during those 2 minutes gets in and the router passes the key to it automatically

RobMark :

anyway can you get into the router again

Customer :

I am on my laptop

RobMark :

just btw this is what i found on relative password strength and most things i find say any randomly generated one is better than a user created even of greater length because its easier to guess the user created

Customer :

I have no prepaid stick tonight

RobMark :

Full Size Image

RobMark :

so i think you are pretty secure now but there should be no reason that you shouldnt be able to put your own in

Customer :

So I looked at my screen todaythat was up on my laptop, it was my passkey from last week and it still worked

Customer :

so why doesnt the modem, change it

Customer :

Telewell is common and I fealt much better with a 27 key one that this one

Customer :

that is always the same

RobMark :

ok can you log into the router ?

Customer :

will I lose u

Customer :

?

Customer :

I never logged out

RobMark :

you shouldnt lose me if you can pull it up in another tab well you might at some point when it reboots but if you add this page to favorates you should be able to bounce right back in when the net is up again

Customer :

quickstart

Customer :

adsl or waqn

Customer :

wan

RobMark :

there should be a LAN there under configuration

Customer :

Gives me the same passkey, so what do u mean that it keeps changing itself automatically

Customer :

I want my own not tone that someone that can log into my router /modem can gert

RobMark :

no you misunderstood that.about changing. its only when you try to set a new device some of them have a scheme where it will use a pin number just to do the original connection but the passkey itself remains the same

RobMark :

anyway can you find the place for wireless security

Customer :

So can I make a 27 key passcode or not

RobMark :

you shuold be able to. lets try again

Customer :

thanks rob

Customer :

and its funny on twit.tv Leo is talking about passwords heheheheehehehe

RobMark :

make sure that if it gives you a choice it is using ascii not hex if it is hex than you cant use anything but 0 to 9 and a to f so that might be what is rejecting your passkey

RobMark :

lol

Customer :

lastpasss

Customer :

and others lol

Customer :

coincidence

Customer :

he says his default pass is 16 characters

Customer :

a huge coincidencethat this show listened by millions is talking about this topic

RobMark :

yeah but still lets try to just get this done so you can be happy with your internet

Customer :

sure I am waiting

Customer :

I am at your mercy to do this

RobMark :

can you get to the wireless security screen ?

Customer :

ok

RobMark :

and if you can maybe you can get me a screen shot of it and i can see if you are in the right place and if there is something you are missing

RobMark :

Screen shot instructions

hold alt button down hit print screen button release buttons

click start menu / all programs / accesories / paint

click edit / paste

click file / save as

save as a jpg file in my pictures

on the top of this window click the insert button it should be a paper clip to right of the smiley face.

click browse.

click browse in the 2nd window that pops up

browse to the file you just saved in my pictures

click ok

click insert back in the first window

Customer :

I copy print screen

Customer :

How do I getthat to u

RobMark :

if we have problems here there is one other thing i might try. if you have it set to allow change from outside i might be able to log right into the router from here even though i am not going through remote access software to your computer. i get into it from the other end.

Customer :

ok let me see

RobMark :

pull up the paint program from windows start menu all programs / accesories and paste it in there

RobMark :

and then save it as a jpg.

Customer :

thank god I added a start button to windows 8 lol

RobMark :

after that it gets trickier but easiest might be to upload it to www.wikisend.com and it will give you a download url that you copy and paste in here and i can download it

RobMark :

lol yeah me to. i used start8 for 3 days till i found that i thought my laptop was an overweight overpriced droid and i was ready to toss it in the backyard and shoot it

RobMark :

still here ?

Customer :

yes

RobMark :

ok how is it going where r u up to ?

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

ok

RobMark :

ok it wont let me in so either you have it set to exclude remote login or the isp does in between you. im not sure where that setting would be probably under the quickstart somewhere. but lets see if you can get to the wireless secruity part and send me the screen shot of that the same way

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

here is what u wanted sorry I think

Customer :

is it?

Customer :

THERE ISMY GIVEN PASSKEY

RobMark :

ok i see the problem i think. that key is in hex. Its not going to take anything other than 0 to 9 and A to F as a character

Customer :

ok

Customer :

is that safer'

RobMark :

it doesnt really make much difference. if you were using regular ascii it would just translate them to hex anyway

Customer :

ok just tell me what to do. I am at your mercy

RobMark :

i would say change it to something else if you want to but try using only 0 to 9 and A to F as the key

Customer :

no I am not giving in

Customer :

I want my password

RobMark :

lol ok try clicking the box for enable radius

Customer :

same as my last 2 modems

Customer :

k

Customer :

want ascreen shot

Customer :

I am sorry but I give in to a lot of people, but not a stupid password

RobMark :

is it a differen page ?

Customer :

it became larger

Customer :

one sec I will show u

RobMark :

ok send me the picture

Customer :

just 3 things of RADIUS now

Customer :

do u want a pic

Customer :

Full Size Image

RobMark :

yes please. but i was taking a guess and after looking it up im not sure thats what we want to do its a specialized thing for server to server contact.

Customer :

here

RobMark :

yeah you can uncheck that. sorry thats why it wants a server ip

Customer :

There must be a way to make your own password. This is silly really...

RobMark :

where it says wpa2 what are your other choices in that dropdown box ?

Customer :

see why remote would beeasier lol

Customer :

arrrghhhhh

RobMark :

yes i sure do and i did before but i am just not allowed

Customer :

I know u cant comment but I am a mental telepathy expert :)

RobMark :

lol im probably broadcasting loudly telephathically

RobMark :

lets experiment a little bit. change the last digit from 7 to 8 and hit apply does it stay there ?

Customer :

Sure that hidingcheckbox is not working hehehehehehehehhe. We both have to follow there rules...

Customer :

One sec and I will have all that 4 u

Customer :

Disable

Customer :

WPA

Customer :

WPA2

Customer :

WPA-WPA"PSKL

Customer :

WEP

RobMark :

try wpa pskl and see if you can change the password and hit apply does the new password stay or disapear

Customer :

one sec

RobMark :

ok

Customer :

I write settings to flash and then go back to security and that old password is there

Customer :

arghhh

Customer :

I dont pressure u....

Customer :

7If u tell me u need 2 days to research it say the word

RobMark :

ok the write to flash is something differnt i think. what happens if you just change the key and hit apply ?

Customer :

aGAIN WE ARE COOL AND i HAVE 10 MORE QUESTIONS FOR U AFTER THIS

RobMark :

lets try an experiment. just change the last digit from 7 to 8 and hit the apply button under neath that screen. thats all you do and see if it stays that way or changes back to a 7

Customer :

i HIT SAVE CONFIG

Customer :

Then it just says write settingsto flash

Customer :

apply

Customer :

wish u could see it

RobMark :

no there is an APPLY button that you have to hit

Customer :

yes there is that I always have hit

RobMark :

Full Size Image

RobMark :

ok so when you hit the apply button what happens ?

RobMark :

does the key change back to what it was or does it stay as you changed it to ?

Customer :

get me to that screen sorry I am tired

Customer :

its not like that

RobMark :

dont do anything with the flash. that is to save the entire router configuration to a flash drive as a backup method so it may be pulling the old config back on you

Customer :

but I will do ui

RobMark :

that is the screen shot that YOU sent me. i just marked it up and sent it back

RobMark :

it should be under quickstart / configuration / lan or maybe wlan if there is one of those

Customer :

under config

RobMark :

yes

Customer :

lan wireless sec?

Customer :

I dont know how I got there

RobMark :

yes i think that it was under quickstart then under configuration then LAN

Customer :

I am there, I hasd to re log in as admin

RobMark :

ok great

RobMark :

just change the last digit of the passkey from 7 to 8 and hit apply

Customer :

oh wait b4 I do that I was saving apply config

Customer :

I never saw that apply

Customer :

let me try my password

Customer :

??

Customer :

withh what sec mode

Customer :

?

RobMark :

you can use wpa2 like it is but you need to hit that apply that may be your entire problem

Customer :

so put in my password with wpa2 but I dont like that because everyone has told me the psk is so much safer

Customer :

I am tipping so dont worry

RobMark :

ok try the psk if you want. but "everyone" is looking at internet posts by people that play a lot of xbox and look at other posts from people looking at somebodies interpetation of a news article about some guy with 6 phd's that thinks he can crack one. for normal home use any of these security methods is way more than enough.

RobMark :

its like listening to somebody talk about the best nitrous injection system for a formula car that does 400 miles an hour and trying to decide the 2nd best isnt good enough for your dodge dart.

RobMark :

are you still here ? getting anywhere with the apply button ?

RobMark :

still here ? i hope your not lost someplace where the router stopped working. it should work with either the new passkey or the old one or with an ethernet cable either way.