Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I am trying to transfer my quicken date from one computer to

I am trying to transfer my quicken date from one computer to the other, same program, same version. have tried to copy date (export) to a disk and to a flash drive, neither will take the date. transferring from a laptop to a desk tower. Was able to transfer the first time from the desk top to the laptop, but now cannot reverse.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

on the old computer

open quicken with the file you want to transfer

go to

file /file operations / validate. ( this makes sure that you have a good file )

go to

file / save a copy as

save it to a flash drive with a name you recognize

move that flash drive to the new computer

copy the file that you saved to my documents on the c drive of the new computer

open the quicken on the new computer

on the help menu make sure that it is updated to the latest release of that version

go to

file / open

browse to my documents and select the file that you copied over

it should open right up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so far, unable to enter data into 2nd computer/ don loaded ok from laptop.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
i will give you the instructions again. Please tell me at EXACTLY what point you are unable to follow which instruction.

and what version of quicken it is please.

on the old computer
go to
go to
file / save a copy as

open the quicken on the new computer
go to
file / open
it should open right up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have downloaded from old computer (laptop) to disk. placed disk in new computer (desk top) cannot find, not sure it downloaded. When I find a file with the name I gave, cannot download

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
please FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS one by one

and tell me at exactly what point you cant continue because if you had followed MY instructions it would have told you exactly where to copy it to and so it would be easy to find. And please dont use terms like download because you are not downloading you are copying and it just makes it more confusing.

on the old computer
go to
go to
file / save a copy as

open the quicken on the new computer
go to
file / open
it should open right up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just going to give up, use the laptop for my quicken program. Cannot get old comp to copy to disk this morning, thanks anyway. Have copied your instructions and when a daughter in law comes who knows computers will let her try.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

the easiest way to do it is with a usb flash drive they cost under 10 bucks at walmart or any place that sells computer supplies.

If you show my instructions to your daughter in law I am sure she will be able to do it in a few minutes. I will be happy to work with her if she has any problems or questions.

Its not the easiest or the best way but another way that might be easier for you would be to go to file / backup restore

and back up onto a disk or flash drive and then restore the file to the new quicken using

file / backup restore / restore

and restoring from the flash drive or disk that you created the backup file on

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.