Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

By mistake, I entered dividend income without a T5 slip. Now

Customer Question

By mistake, I entered dividend income without a T5 slip. Now I can't seem to remove it and my income is way overstated.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
you should be able to find it and change it by looking at "my tax data"

Windows

From the TurboTax Tools menu, select My Tax Data.
In the My Tax Data window, the Source column will indicate whether the data on the corresponding Form and Line was transferred, imported, or entered by you.
(Optional) Click the Source column heading to group and alphabetize the list.
Select the line item you want to view or change, and then click the Jump To Interview or Go To Form to view, change, or remove the line item in Interview or Forms Mode, respectively.
Mac

At the top of the program window, press the Tax Data button.
In the My Tax Data window, the Type column will indicate whether the data on the corresponding Formset/Form/Field Name was transferred, imported, or entered by you.
(Optional) Click the Type column heading to group and alphabetize the list.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using the Canadian Online Version. When I click under tools, I can go to the Tax Summary, from whence I can go to the Detailed Tax Summary.

But that only shows me the total figure on Line 120; clicking on it only brings up a help screen.

My apologies.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

dang the online form isn't that easy. you are supposed to be able to just back up and re enter the data.

try going to wages and income and then look for dividend income section. that should get you to the details part where you can change the input.

I don't know how much information you put in but if it is not a lot at some point it might be easier to just start again by hitting home and then clear data.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried to work through the income section, without results. I also got through to turbo tax support after I raised the question, and they were unable to help.

I had basically completed my return, except for the one issue. It appears that the only thing I can do is to recreate the return from scratch.

Cheers

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
sorry. to me it seems like you are just not hitting the correct section to put the dividend in the same way. But I don't think intuit has as many features in the online version as the desktop and I suspect they don't have quite the bug checking for the Canadian version as they do for the American, so it may be you just hit a bug they didn't notice and there is no other way to do it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I don't think I got a satisfactory answer, but I don't want to give you a negative rating. Any ideas?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

try clicking on T slips button as in this video and going to T-5 and see if you can change it there

http://support.intuit.ca/turbotax/en-ca/iq/What-s-New/Electronic-Tax-Forms-/INF21697.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Done that. No dice. The problem is that I had entered it as dividends not covered by a T5 slip. Once it's entered, it seems to "disappear", except for showing up in the Income Total and in the tax calculation.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

sorry, In the American version all of that data is available under my tax data but I am not that familiar with the Canadian version and if the people at intuit could not figure it out my guess is that it is just a bug with the program and nobody remembered to put in a way to change that particular field

In that case you would have to re do the entire form. I would suggest printing out a copy before you do that and that would make it easier to re input.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I had to file yesterday which was why I had marked the question urgent. No need to apologize; I agree it was probably a bug in the software. Regards,

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I am sorry that I could not be more helpful there but at least you got it done.

I hope you will give me a decent rating as that is what allows me to be paid for my time and I am rated against other experts here

thank you.